Who would actually pay $495/mo for Galaxy?

Again, not true. Haproxy can monitor an upstream server and pull it from the rotation. It will toss a 502 or 504 on the previous websocket and the client will reconnect. Basic Haproxy 101 here.

I get that you don’t want to learn it and that is what you are advocating for here. But this stuff isn’t that hard to learn.

2 Likes

Charging $75/hour doesn’t mean you work 40 hours a week. Just up your rate :wink:

As others, I also think this pricing is kind a great. Specially, when you have better support. With other cloud hosting providers, support is not that great and Meteor specific.

So, this is a good deal. From my experience, I think 1GB containers are pretty big for Meteor, because Meteor has the CPU bottleneck. So, It would be better we’ve a 512MB containers as well.

I hope this is just the beginning, Galaxy will be great and one stop place for Meteor hosting.

2 Likes

Care to share a working script?

unless you need spiderable, haha.

2 Likes

I have a blog post coming, I am moving crater over little by little and will talk about it all.

1 Like

Totally agree here @arunoda. @samhatoum actually made a similar point in Meteor Club slack chat today, Galaxy is cheaper for 1gb boxes at 10 boxes. We just need to break up the container sizing options to make it accessible to others.

The choice to keep it at 10 containers is purely to lightening the sign up/support load, imo.

Stop using spiderable :slight_smile: Always go for prerender.io.
It’s cheeper and does the job well.
Otherwise use React :slight_smile:

7 Likes

How do you see Kadira (the monitoring app, not the larger organization) interacting with Galaxy? Are they complementary? Incompatible? The section of the Galaxy announcement ‘Tracking connected clients’ sounds similar in ways. It would be cool if they worked in tandem.

I have. They should just remove that package from core, imo.

1 Like

I would definitely trust the MDG over your approach :smiley:

I frankly don’t know how Kadira fits into Galaxy. Our vision is give more visibility into Meteor. I think any deployment platform needs to have a performance monitoring (at least basics). Otherwise it’s useless.

We didn’t get any chance to play with Galaxy since we didn’t get any invite :slight_smile: Now it’s the time for us to play with Galaxy. I need to have a look at it first.

It’s possible Galaxy address some of the Kadira’s usecases and vice versa.

3 Likes

It’s SanFran, where the first 40 hours at $75 barely pays rent on a one bedroom apartment.

2 Likes

How about collaborating/integrating with a service like Compose.io? (And something like S3 for that matter) I would love to be able to handle everything in one spot, paying for Compose.io through Galaxy.

If you don’t want to pay the $650, I’m happy to add you to my org and let you use a couple containers for evaluation purposes

1 Like

You only need to launch a new tab. I don’t see how ‘integrating’ would add much real value.

$200/month, is that without S3 & databases?

Galaxy pricing and target customer does not align with who the framework is marketed towards, which is startups.

they’ve said it over and over: individual plans are coming. Do you want to launch a new platform and have thousands of customers knock the door down before you’re sure your ready for that kind of uptake? Or do you want to test with a smaller, select number of customers and open up general admission only after you have more experience and feedback from your ‘test market’?

Wait, does that mean you can run 10 different apps on a $500 plan? (So that it’s more like 10x a $10 digital ocean plan?)

I still don’t have the access. That would be great.