Why doesn't MDG just adopt Vue.js and forget about React vs Blaze?

Understood here, and speculation is understandable. We have a goal of more clearly communicating, seeing as forum posts are easily lost and not easy to find in this very active community, especially for those users who don’t have the time to keep up to date on the latest forum posts.

Look forward to more and clearer communication from us soon, and in the mean time we all need to make sure that this forum is a helpful and positive place to be.

1 Like

With all due respect, I’m all for being helpful and positive, as I’m sure most are – but we should also not shy away from keeping it real on here. I hope critical thoughts, questions, and opinions are still welcomed on these forums – even if it gets under the skin a little.

We’ve been told before that MDG was on the cusp of being more open, I hope this time the initiative sticks. I think this is the main reason there are so many questions and posts MDG might not take to in this forum.

1 Like

@aadams I hear you – a better work would be “constructive”. Critical thoughts, questions, and opinions are definitely still welcome, as long as they’re brought up in a way that is respectful and on-topic.

2 Likes

Thanks @sashko and @thea for all you are doing for the community.

For one, I am sincerely grateful to (and impressed with) @sashko … Thank you!

On a side note, what’s your poison, Red Bull, coffee injection straight in the arteries … How do you do it all?

3 Likes

I definitely work way too much. Hopefully it helps someone!

11 Likes

Curse of the programmer. It’s hard not to work when your work is also your hobby and addiction haha.

4 Likes

I realize this is an old post… I read through the chain. … kinda got me going reading the exchanges. Maybe no one will see this reply…

I’ve worked with React for most of this year (2016). It was the first “Framework” I’ve used until Vue. Yep, old-school JQ and brute force, with PHP/Django/C++ tails… my world. Vue is simply an engineering marvel !! My take – Vue’s adoption is only held back by mostly uniformed critics. Let MDG react as it believes it should, and use the right tool for the job (and politics :)). It will MGD loss, as I suspect Vue will see strategic placement in many other stacks–Vue is simply that good!!

1 Like

Sorry, but we have been hearing this for what ? Two years ? Three years ?

4 Likes

Don’t you feel like things have improved? The rate of PRs being accepted and community members participating in Meteor is much better now than ever.

Improved… Hmmmmm. Yes. :slight_smile:

I would not call that communication.
What’s the future of meteor “classic” ? Has it one ?
What’s coming in the next months ?
Where does Apollo stand with Meteor. Is it the future of Meteor ? Is it a sister project ? Is is a replacement framework (ala Angular 2.0) ?

2 Likes

I agree, we are left in the dark. How can we know what’s new or different, what are new ways? What should we learn? Is reading again all the doc the only way? Do we really need to spend time watching a long YT for getting some ideas about maybe something? Many people advocate Meteor, like myself, but still, does MDG do it?

I agree, maybe repeating myself, when we know Vue.js simplicity and potential, who wants React or any other front end tool? Another way to see it: How would the tool we want would be different than Vue.js for better? When one know a bit of Vue, attending a React demo looks really ugly and too complicated.

1 Like

It was my understanding that things like Transmission were meant to help bridge the gap between what MDG is doing and what the community wants to know about the goals/roadmap. Then you see very few topic requests here. If we want more information (and to not be left in the dark) maybe start with the available channels?

2 Likes

There is also now an effort by @thea to streamline communication with the community. I can sympathize with the bulk of any investment going to MDG to focus on marketing and sales (e.g. after visiting Apollo website, a re-targeting ad keeps appearing when I visit CNN). We are moving in the right direction, thanks as well should go to @sashko.

1 Like

Right now the only thing we are doing on Meteor is what it says in the roadmap: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/blob/devel/Roadmap.md

We’re doing our best to invite people to move forward the parts they care most about, but haven’t seen a very big response. But I’m excited that people are working on new stuff like Grapher and the meteor-tuts website as well, even if that isn’t directly improving the core stuff.

It’s a sister project, which embodies some of the core values in a different way. People are starting to use them together and we’re doing so in our own production apps. Our goal is to move Apollo more in the direction of the ease of use Meteor has, so that it can be a full replacement for livedata/ddp/mongo soon.

That would be great, or we should find some new channels and agree on them. We simply can’t be everywhere at once. The reason there are somewhat limited channels for communication is because things turn out better if we (MDG) can focus our efforts on that since we can’t reply to every post or question.

1 Like

+1 to Sashko’s point here – as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I’d like to better understand what channels work best for people. A bit off-topic for this thread though. :slight_smile:

That would be great, or we should find some new channels and agree on them. We simply can’t be everywhere at once. The reason there are somewhat limited channels for communication is because things turn out better if we (MDG) can focus our efforts on that since we can’t reply to every post or question.

This may have been answered somewhere else, but I’m currently not using JavaScript and couldn’t keep up with the news.

So my question is, what will Meteor actually be, when it’s not the ViewLayer and the DataLayer anymore, as those will be React/ Angular/ … and Apollo? Another build tool?

I just don’t know what would be left. Also, do you see a future for Meteor’s Account system? IMO, it’s the best system out there, even across languages.

@fvg Definitely off topic for this particular thread. One way to make communication more streamlined is to prevent the tendency to burry MDG answers in unrelated threads.

Closing the thread now as it’s gotten pretty far off course – if anyone still has unanswered questions, please author a new thread in the appropriate category.

2 Likes