Windows/Desktop Application using Meteor

If I get it correctly will this launch a desktop app of the leaderboard?

It’s amazing!
Just added meteor add arboleya:electrify and got Linux application from my meteor code! Very cool (-:

Hello all,
I tried steps mentioned here : https://atmospherejs.com/arboleya/electrify

But i didnt understood what happened. It did :-

• created new folder called .electrify in project root folder
  • Inside of it, there are package.json and index.js file.

How can i make my application executable and standalone this way ?

Thanks for all your assistance thus far !
Waiting for more inputs.

any help out there? :joy:

Start a meteor shell when your application is running (with meteor run) and type in: electrify. This will generate the executable (compiled for the current architecture) in the “dist” directory.

Hello Everyone and thanks for all your assistance.
I managed to generate Executable using electrify, but it wasnt that easy as was looking earlier. Few hiccups
, few R&D and finally done !

can you share your steps here @mayankmathur please :innocent:

@fvilers as I said above I encountered this error when running electrify

Normally, you don’t have to install a standalone NodeJS for Meteor development. But, maybe Electron/electrify requires it. I do have a NodeJS installation so I can’t test right now.

Just as an additional info: Besides Electron, there’s also Node WebKit. And a third solution I have been successfully integrated Meteor with is Brackets Shell, which is the foundation on which the open source editor Brackets is based on (both available on GitHub). I did this because I liked the dark theming of Brackets, but the Brackets team does not really encourage / support 3rd party apps and points to Node WebKit instead. Haven’t tried Electron as the new kid on the block so far, but looks quite appealing for sure.

thanks… i’ll try installing the standalone node+npm see if it will work.

this is awesome

/me dancing

basically i installed node.js separately as it was creating some issues. Try out this way.

Depends pretty heavily on your application. For example, if you are using a client-only based application and connecting via DDP to a remote service, that can be done pretty easily. I have a sample here

I would also highly recommend arboleya:electrify, it’s very well maintained and works quite well for pretty much everything,

How can i make my application executable and standalone this way ?

Go into your project root and use electrify (which should be installed via NPM). If you don’t have it: npm install -g electrify

Alternatively, start up your meteor application, open another terminal, use meteor shell and type electrify

You also have electron

Anyway, I’ve tested Atom text editor. Is extremely slow. I don’t know how this meteor desktop apps will perform.

Any ideas?

I tried making an electrify app and the filesize was 764MB. That’s just way too large of a file, and the app was just a modified to-do list. It wasn’t this large until Meteor 1.3 came out. Now Electrify’s unusable, all of the NPM packages Meteor uses now makes the electrified app way too large.

Something’s definitely wrong then. I’ve been developing an app with electrify for a few months now. I have however made a private fork and adjusted quite a bit here and there, but the app is clocking in at around 250MB and it has a lot of npm packages and other stuff in it.

Just go take a look inside the folders where most of the file size is stored.

Can you list some of the main adjustments you made to your private fork that you think helps keep the file-size so low? are there any general rules to follow?

Filesize-wise I didn’t change anything, it was more to have more control over versions and debug (had some small issues).
Again, just take a look inside the folders to see what is taking up that much space. Something I’ve seen happen in the past is when you run electrify package while there’s already a folder with a build in it, it might nest apps, so there’s unnecessary files inside. I always remove the build folder before packaging as a rule.

Hello Waldgeist,

Can you please give us some info on how you integrated meteor in Node WebKit? Did you have to demeteorize or did you use the regular meteor build process? Could you please shortly describe the steps required? Did the integration in WebKit permit apps for Linux/MacOS/Windows? Thank you very much!