Windows/Desktop Application using Meteor

Hello All Community members,

Since im pretty new to Meteor Framework and its associated components like Atom + MongoDB.
I’ve been reading examples on Meteor’s official website but what i find is all Web based apps running on default Localhost or hosted on meteor.com itself.
What i m looking for is to develop a Desktop Application using Meteor. I find people talking about Electron for same purpose as well and im bit direction-less at this moment, as a beginner to this framework.

Looking forward to some timely assistance on procedure to build standalone desktop apps using Meteor !

Thanks.
Mayank

Electrify is definitively what you are looking for.

it’s really great !

meteor create --example leaderboard
cd leaderboard
meteor add arboleya:electrify
meteor

this community is going to be very crazy :smiley:

I followed the code above and also the code github electrify … however after typing electify got an error og Can't find npm module I am running on windows 7 64 bit

If I get it correctly will this launch a desktop app of the leaderboard?

It’s amazing!
Just added meteor add arboleya:electrify and got Linux application from my meteor code! Very cool (-:

Hello all,
I tried steps mentioned here : https://atmospherejs.com/arboleya/electrify

But i didnt understood what happened. It did :-

• created new folder called .electrify in project root folder
  • Inside of it, there are package.json and index.js file.

How can i make my application executable and standalone this way ?

Thanks for all your assistance thus far !
Waiting for more inputs.

any help out there? :joy:

Start a meteor shell when your application is running (with meteor run) and type in: electrify. This will generate the executable (compiled for the current architecture) in the “dist” directory.

Hello Everyone and thanks for all your assistance.
I managed to generate Executable using electrify, but it wasnt that easy as was looking earlier. Few hiccups
, few R&D and finally done !

can you share your steps here @mayankmathur please :innocent:

@fvilers as I said above I encountered this error when running electrify

Normally, you don’t have to install a standalone NodeJS for Meteor development. But, maybe Electron/electrify requires it. I do have a NodeJS installation so I can’t test right now.

Just as an additional info: Besides Electron, there’s also Node WebKit. And a third solution I have been successfully integrated Meteor with is Brackets Shell, which is the foundation on which the open source editor Brackets is based on (both available on GitHub). I did this because I liked the dark theming of Brackets, but the Brackets team does not really encourage / support 3rd party apps and points to Node WebKit instead. Haven’t tried Electron as the new kid on the block so far, but looks quite appealing for sure.

thanks… i’ll try installing the standalone node+npm see if it will work.

this is awesome

/me dancing

basically i installed node.js separately as it was creating some issues. Try out this way.

Depends pretty heavily on your application. For example, if you are using a client-only based application and connecting via DDP to a remote service, that can be done pretty easily. I have a sample here

I would also highly recommend arboleya:electrify, it’s very well maintained and works quite well for pretty much everything,

How can i make my application executable and standalone this way ?

Go into your project root and use electrify (which should be installed via NPM). If you don’t have it: npm install -g electrify

Alternatively, start up your meteor application, open another terminal, use meteor shell and type electrify

You also have electron

Anyway, I’ve tested Atom text editor. Is extremely slow. I don’t know how this meteor desktop apps will perform.

Any ideas?

I tried making an electrify app and the filesize was 764MB. That’s just way too large of a file, and the app was just a modified to-do list. It wasn’t this large until Meteor 1.3 came out. Now Electrify’s unusable, all of the NPM packages Meteor uses now makes the electrified app way too large.