(wip) Introducing Heliosphere - metadata for meteor packages (renamed from mesosphere)

I’m excited to put this out for the community. It’s an app that lists meteor packages and allows you to add tags, make comments, and list tutorials and resources that package has. It currently pulls data with the Atmospherejs API.

My hope is that it will help new developers learn the packaging ecosystem a little better and drive more people to give Meteor a second look.

It took me a couple of months to build putting in a couple of hours a week. Since I used it as a learning opportunity I rolled my own comments and searching. So that’s one place I’m sure can be improved at some point.

You can check out the source code here and the website here.

So what do you all think? Suggestions?

4 Likes

LOVE the Idea behind it :smile:
Very cool project! Well done.

Kinda reminds me of unheap.
Maybe you’ll find some additional inspiration from their UI.

That’s a nice UI. I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks!

Just a note about the use of the name Mesosphere… I am the developer of a package for meteor which was known as Mesosphere. About a month ago however I received a request for the package to be renamed due to a Trademark infringement. You can see the request here: https://github.com/copleykj/meteor-shower/issues/64

Just figured I would give you a heads up. In case you decide to move forward with the rename, I think Troposphere has a nice ring to it being that it can actually carry information (FM waves) in a phenomenon called Tropospheric Propogation . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_propagation

That’s very nice :smile:

I am seeing some overlapping content on the menu bar:

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. I’ll work on renaming everything as soon as I can. Of course, now I need to figure out how move the DB on a site deployed on meteor.com :smile:

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll have it fixed on my next update.

Very cool! I think you need to implement some callbacks for after you submit a comment. Right now you need to close the modal yourself, which isn’t expected behavior. Minor issue though, overall well done!

Thanks for the tip. I did an update this morning that should fix the closing of the modal after you submit a comment.