Xervo/Modulus - Shutting down - Apr 28, 2017

Got an email in my inbox this morning that “Xervo” previously “Modulus” is shutting down end of April. If you are on this service you might want to start looking for a new host. I really did like their service I had very few issues with it, but I guess its time to move on.

“After careful analysis and reflection, we’ve made the difficult decision to cease operations of the Xervo Platform, effective April 28th, 2017 at 10 am CST. After that time, all apps and database hosts will be taken offline”

If you are looking for alternatives to Meteor app hosting, I encourage you to check out NodeChef documentation on migrating your database with no downtime. NodeChef delivers a production-grade, zero devops experience for developers. You can easily host your app and database on the same platform.

1 Like

Damn. The cost of the Mongo Enterprise license finally did the platform in. That’s too bad. I wonder if Galaxy simply gobbled up all their customers.

So… does that mean the Modulus platform is for sale?

I had also a great experience with Modulus, it is a little bit less expensive than galaxy. But after all, i decided to deploy everything to galaxy with mlab as daas.

2 Likes

What would be the best alternative host for older Meteor-solutions?
I assume a 1.1.0.2 would not just smoothly transfer to Galaxy, and not all clients have time or budget (or need) for an unplanned upgrade project.

I move over to Galaxy its just the obvious choice, I wish they had the 192mb and 396mb containers but they do have a 4gb one that Modulus didn’t have.

First issue I had in moving over was you need to downgrade bcrypt it doesnt work with 1.x apparently.

meteor npm install bcrypt@0.8.7 --save
other than modifying the settings.json for galaxy it went ok.

I think it’s worth a try! The Meteor deployment protocol hasn’t changed in a while so I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked.

1 Like

I’ll try as well then :slight_smile: .

1 Like

We wrote a “Migrate your app to Galaxy” guide to help those making this move:

1 Like

the guide is totally missing the bcrypt 0.8.7 install

I even moved a project over that doesn’t even have accounts-passwords and it wouldn’t build unless I added it.
you have to replace it even if you don’t use it.

Error Log:
bcrypt@1.0.2 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
spawn ENOENT

Failed at the bcrypt@1.0.2 install script ‘node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build’.
Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
If you do, this is most likely a problem with the bcrypt package,

I used Galaxy, Heroku, and AWS Amazon. Don’t see any problem that Xervo is shutting down.
But nice to know.