An "I'm still here" post

No need to wait. Apollo works with Meteor fine already. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very much still using Meteor (w/ Blaze)!! https://www.qualia.com/

6 Likes

What a nice thread!
Bad vibes can snowball quickly, so sometimes it feels like everybody are bailing. But maybe the silent majority are just too busy creating value for clients using Meteor. :slight_smile:

I, for one, am still immensely happy with Meteor.
I get stuff done in no time with it, and I certainly don’t miss kicking around with Express/Passport/Mongoose/gulp/webpack/whatever to get to the same point of productivity.
As a one-man-band, being able to create business critical enterprise apps from scratch to production in a matter of weeks (or days, even) is amazing and very valuable!

Thanks for sticking around. I just hope all the leave-threads don’t make you lose focus or motivation.

14 Likes

Yep, still here also and thanks to Tom (@waldgeist ) for starting this thread.
Nice to see so many people giving the thumbs up.

3 Likes

Yes, good point.

There are many, many technology choices/combos out there. Every project will have different needs, aspirations, constraints and circumstances. Do not be too swayed by some of those projects deciding to move off of Meteor (or not using it in the first place!). They’ll have their own individual reasons. Judge your use of Meteor on your own needs.

Perhaps now, more than ever before, it is a sensible choice for many - it’s fully proven, no longer “bleeding edge” and really does work very well.

6 Likes

Anyone up for building a ‘Meteor Safety Check’ button a la Facebook?

Say That Your Meteor Project is Safe
If you’re OK with Meteor, click or tap the “I’m Safe” button to let other devs know straight away that your Meteor project is alive & well.

<button>I'm Safe</button>

1 Like

Great to see the positivity in here! I certainly look forward to seeing what we can all do together and continuing to move the project forward however possible.

If anyone needs assistance contributing in the form of triaging issues (a huge help!) or submitting PRs (or if you need help figuring out where to start!), please let me know!

7 Likes

Still here and enjoying myself migrating my Meteor+Blaze project to Meteor+React. Does this count, too?

9 Likes

Still using Meteor for geographical information services and working with realtime atmospheric and oceanographic data. We have a lot of small low budget projects that need to be spun up really fast - Meteor still really fits my needs!

3 Likes

This guy is still using Blaze? Well… then we must burn him!

3 Likes

Yeah I have been thinking of improving some of the website/materials to give off more of a stable vibe rather than talking about Meteor as an experimental next-generation/cutting edge tool. Right now Meteor’s in a place where it gives you most of the best parts of modern web development without a lot of the hassle, and we should communicate that better so that people can be informed when picking the framework for their next app.

24 Likes

One thing that people often forget is that those who are unhappy with the platform are much more likely to post and complain. Those of us who are loving meteor are mostly busy building our apps!

13 Likes

Agreed 100% - and there are also the ‘experts’ / consultants who are no longer in high demand now that Meteor is stable, who I feel are sometimes poisoning this forum with negativity.

4 Likes

In the past couple of weeks I’ve used Meteor to:

• Build a server side migration process that links Intercom customers that are similar, captured through different content management systems.
  • Build a custom client side only library that helps deliver a heavily customized shopping experience, all hosted on a Shopify based store.
  • Build a custom payment gateway (that wraps Stripe) to add more advanced payment capabilities, like subscription management, in-depth analytics, pro-active failure / retry / customer incentive notifications, etc.

Not one of the above items would be considered a “conventional” Meteor app, but yet Meteor has helped me complete them all, properly, in record time. The power and flexibility Meteor provides, alongside its up and running quickly capabilities, continues to amaze me daily and keeps me coming back for more. This is the stuff that dreams are made of …

8 Likes

IMO it’s going to be really hard to restore that vibe… that’s not to discourage you, but to set you up for hopefully a successfully outcome. I suspect MDG and the developer communities are very different vacuums.

Not to discourage you from giving feedback but I think this kind of “we’ve already lost” mentality in the face of new technologies, people doing different stuff, etc, is part of what makes it so hard to make meaningful change.

The most encouraging thing would be an idea for something actionable I or MDG can do to take another step in the right direction.

10 Likes

Well, for one, you can start with quoting people’s entire statements and addressing the complete idea instead of isolating a favorable part of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess I was specifically trying to say is that the first part of the comment was not helpful, and quoted that part to indicate what specifically I was taking issue with. The post would have had the same information content if it just said:

Which is a great point - people who spend a lot of time working on some specific technology can easily lose track of the big picture if they don’t take time to look out the window and work closely with people who use that technology every day.

We’ve been trying our best to do that as much as possible, especially in the last year. Pretty much every single significant addition to Meteor since the start of the year was driven by conversations and surveys with people running Meteor projects in production, and feedback from our internal application teams.

To add to that, I would be excited to find new ways to get actionable feedback.

1 Like

Well, I think we could agree that some people are more vocal than others. My view is, its sometimes better to add a few more words to set the context for the main statement.

What I was hoping you would identify from that statement is that a) people, and/or myself, are becoming increasingly frustrated and b) the signal to inquire about what those things are, and the differences between these “vacuums”.

Also - I believe you come from a European culture, as do I, and at least in my experience of it, this is how we push each other :slight_smile:

The most encouraging thing would be an idea for something actionable I or MDG can do to take another step in the right direction.

Not to discourage you from stepping up - you know how I’ve always respected and appreciated your visibility in the community and hard work. And also, I am still here. I do believe @msavin has a good point. When key movers in the community gave good warnings and feedback, most of them were neglected. It divided the community some time ago, and I’ve seen enough shipwrecks, so lets keep the good vibes intact. If you sincerely feel to go toward the right direction, I think there are still some good people here - some from the start, some accidently and some new, who are more than willing to gather an army and take over Westeros.

The idea for something actionable is to gather the fellowship of community members who have experience with Meteor, dive into the remarks of the ones that left from the past year and take notes, make amends, make a good plan with the former, secure a budget and burn that ring before Middle Earth is lost.

I still love the Meteor platform; sadly though, at the moment it is a nightmare to foresee the future for long term projects without solid version locking - so in that regard moving on. But in the prototype realm it is still one of the best platforms existing. I truly hope the Meteor platform and her community goes forward and regain its magical and fluffy bunny feelings it once had. Still here. Still here.

3 Likes