Announcing Extended Support Maintenance for Node.js 14

We are excited to announce that Meteor Software will be providing Extended Support Maintenance (ESM) for Node.js 14.

As you may be aware, the official sunset of Node.js 14 LTS is scheduled for April 2023. To help ease the transition of your applications to Meteor 3.0 and provide additional support, Meteor Software will offer Meteor.js Node.js 14 ESM for 12 months beyond the official end-of-life date.

Our Extended Support Maintenance will focus on the following:

1. Security updates: We will actively monitor and backport security fixes from newer versions of Node.js (such as Node.js 16 and 18) to ensure the ongoing safety and stability of your Meteor.js applications running on Node.js 14.
  2. Critical bug fixes: We will address any critical issues that might arise, prioritizing stability and compatibility for your projects.

Please note that this Extended Support Maintenance is specific to Node.js 14 within the Meteor.js framework and is separate from the official Node.js LTS releases.

Read the full announcement on our blog!

17 Likes

@fredmaiaarantes, how does this work? Is this only bundled together with Meteor 2.12? Or is there a separate bundle that can be downloaded that we can add to our CI/CD scripts?

3 Likes

Can we download it? like we do using nvm?

1 Like

That’s awesome, thank you guys! :heart:

2 Likes

Hey @rjdavid, @minhna!

Meteor 2.12 beta is already using the Node.js 14 ESM version, a forked repository from the official Node.js 14. If you want to check how it works and compile to use it, you can check the commands we are using in the README.md of our repository.

I don’t think you would be able to use NVM, but you could download it from our CDN, check how the URL is formed here. There are a few strategies that our dev bundle generator can use.

From what I could see, the current URLs are:

@grubba or @philippeoliveira can confirm that.

2 Likes

Great. Will there be a mup docker image for this?

3 Likes

Great news.

This will provide more time for our client’s projects and Quave’s projects as well to migrate everything without having security known issues in production environment.

We are actively working with many clients in this migration effort but most of them will need more time.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey Tom, I’m talking with our DevOps team at Quave to see how we can help the community on this.

As we need to have this ready for a few clients we probably can do something publicly as well.

I’ll keep posting updates here.

Feel free to reach out in pvt as well :wink:

3 Likes

Exactly, you can make your own compilation like this one in our README, or use our already generated one that is hosted on the CDN in the links that @fredmaiaarantes indicated, in these files and only the node compiled from our repository and you can use it in your customized scripts and in your pipeline flows with CI/CD.

2 Likes

Hey all, we have some news about Docker images compatible with Meteor new ESM Support Version of Node.js 14.

Quave implemented a few images that we will keep releasing versions for every new Meteor version (we have also published for 2.6.1, 2.7.3, 2.8.2. 2.9.1, 2.10.0 e 2.11.0. We can also release for previous version upon request).

Here are the 3 images that we are going to support:

How they work

They all get the Node.js, NPM, MongoDB etc from Meteor installation so for sure you are using the same version as used by Meteor of all these tools.

MongoDB?

Yes, we have an option with MongoDB running for you in the same container, this can be helpful for staging or temporary environments.

zCloud?

Why zcloudws namespace instead of Quave?

We are soon going to release a new service called zCloud.ws to run any project based on Docker.

Also DB hosting (MongoDB, MySQL and PostgreSQL). If you want to know more feel free to email filipe@zcloud.ws

Demo

Our image including MongoDB is running as a Demo here. The project deployed is our Meteor Template.

Docker example and also MUP.

This example is running on zCloud as well (we are not promoting it yet as we are finishing up the UI, it will be available soon for the public but we already have some clients running on it for a few months).

13 Likes

I just saw the blog post for the new Meteor 2.12 release.

One minor feedback: the use of ESM as an acronym for Extended Support Maintenance is confusing due to the other meaning of ESM (ECMAScript modules) in JS world

3 Likes

Will update to make it more clearer

When will Meteor be able to run on Node.js LTS (18) version?

1 Like

Hey @mattphet, Meteor 3.0 release will run on Node.js 18. To stay up-to-date with the latest developments on that, you can follow our public board and also this forum topic. Doing so gives you access to all the updates as they’re released.

We are very close to releasing an alpha version of Meteor 3.0.

5 Likes

The extended support maintenance of Node 14 helps a lot, knowing that security is maintained. But the difficulty now is for NPM packages with security patches which also dropped support for Node 14.

Hi,
Where can we find urls for generated tarballs of last patched version 14.21.4 ?

Thank you.

Sorry, forgive me. I found it.

1 Like

To build an Alpine version (using musl) based on the official docker image, I need the sources compiled to a tarball just like the official nodejs release has. Did you publish those as well?

Hello @permb! Yes, they are also published. We have a new documentation page where you can find them and also see additional information.

1 Like