Any tips to help reduce memory usage?

Hi,

out app uses about 500MB of memory before any users start hitting it, so we can just get running on a “Compact”… but would really like to be able to run on a Galaxy “Tiny” instance, at least for a handful of users for dev/test purposes.

A lot of the articles I found seem related to reducing subscriptions and other per user/transaction memory usage, for example

That said, how do we reduce the INITIAL memory usage?

We are using Blaze, have a ton of templates… so not sure if dynamic imports would help? Any thoughts welcome.

1 Like

Only subscribe to what you need, limit find’s and where it’s possible use caching, although it’s realistic that your App will take around 400mb to 500mb - my App is in production and is taking 450mb but the real memory user is Mongodb which takes as much memory as it can, the mongo manuals say it will use around half of the available memory. I have approx 12gb free from the 16gb I have on my box and mongo is taking around 6gb so seems correct.

Before I had 20k daily uniques I was running this on a 4gb box and it was handling it kinda ok, just a bit slow to load the results in and I had to wait minutes to run any large scripts on the dataset. So I bumped it to 16gb and it’s good now. I am running everything on one box with nginx as web server and also doing all my data scripts there and it’s mostly idle now although over 300 concurrent connections can cause it to crash the node thread and cause a out of memory error which sucks

2 Likes

Thanks.

I am keen to know what I need to do to get my 500MB down well below 256MB before any user hits the server.

I’m not sure if that’s possible (unless you have literally nothing in your App) maybe someone on this forum knows. Would like to know also

The lowest I’ve seen mine go is 350mb and that’s during the night when no one is hitting it up. I am only running essential packages like the accounts and a few npm packages.

2 Likes

Anything special you do in your nginx conf file to make it work better for Meteor?

My server when are just deployed use around 300mb, but as I currently use cache in memory for some queries the memory usage increases with users.

Just deployed starts at 260mb after 2 hours is ~300mb.

• I dont use subscriptions for most parts of my app, only the required ones (roles, null).
  • I use methods with grapher
  • Most security calls (firewalls in grapher) are cached in memory right now (moving to redis)
  • When users are in events, where we use subscriptions and there are large amounts of users per server the memory usage has been around 1,300mb
  • We also use redis oplog (with some customizations)
  • Im not sure monti shows the exact amount of memory usage, but I trust it does.
1 Like

I just run Meteor as an upstream and keep my bulk of images outside of Meteor entirely so it’s on it’s own vhost for images, this seems to lighten the load. To be honest there is no bottleneck with nginx and it’s barely ever not idle, it’s mongo that takes up all the resources.

In my vhost I run the following, you must set the port for the one you use for meteor on your local and what you set in the PORT env var.

location / {
            proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:your-meteor-port-goes-here;
            proxy_http_version 1.1;
            proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade; #for websockets
            proxy_set_header Connection $connection_upgrade;
            proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
            proxy_set_header Host $host;
        }

1 Like

Interesting that it’s Mongo that so resource-intensive. So you’re running mongd on the same box as your app server then?

Not surprising really, Mongo is all memory operations and takes half of the available ram by default unless you tune it.

Why not run Mongo on a dedicated DB server? Trying to minimize costs?

I don’t need to, this thread is about minimizing memory usage and I am replying that Mongo uses the most, and meteor doesn’t really use much past half a gig, even with a load of several thousand visitors.

BTW, out Mongo is running on Atlas, … the deploy on Galaxy still uses about 500MB ram before users start hitting it.

Is it the mongo connectors (packages, npm ) that get loaded that use the memory?

Is there a way to proffile the app to see what’s using the memory in node?
We have APM on Galaxy, but I don’t see a way of telling what components are using memory in the “pre-user-load” state.

Not sure bud, I tried using Galaxy once and it was really bad. Have always run it on my own server.

If you get shell there now you can run top and see the memory and cpu usage. Have they added that?

I started watching memory more closely now and it does move around a lot, currently my app is only using 100mb and then it can peak to 300mb and beyond.

Node is limited to 512mb on 32bit and 1gb on 64bit systems. Although you can raise this with --max-old-space-size e.g

node --max-old-space-size=1024 main.js

Will start your app with 1gb of memory available. The value given is in mb.

Currently, by default v8 has a memory limit of 512mb on 32-bit systems, and 1gb on 64-bit systems. The limit can be raised by setting --max_old_space_size to a maximum of ~1gb (32-bit) and ~1.7gb (64-bit), but it is recommended that you split your single process into several workers if you are hitting memory limits.

@adamginsburg,
Because on the server meteor is simply node with some Meteor libraries…

I think what you really want to know is what elements of your node app are causing your memory to be so large at startup.

For this you can use the chrome debugger’s profiling options, specifically the Memory “tab”.

Here is an article on how to use the Chrome debugger with node: Debugging Node.js with Chrome DevTools | by Paul Irish | Medium

2 Likes

Thanks. I got a response from Meteor Galaxy support too, to use heapdump - npm which I have just installed and loaded the dump into Chrome Memory tools… I am not 100% sure what I am looking at … .but I see this summary that seems to indicate it’s using ~198MB??

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 11.13.30 am

The other tabs a are bit scary :wink: Will see what help I can get to decipher this stuff

What’s the decision making process here, surely you can just run it on a business machine, and not the virtual equivalent of a usb pen drive? 200mb is nothing. My database is using 7gb.

Just to be clear this is about memory, not disk size

This is for a replicable entry point for our customers running on on their own standalone environment.

This is the entry point, so it’s pretty much single user and they can upgrade. We’re going to use MongoDB Atlas for the data, so that’s not an issue. So the goal was to see if we could run it on a Meteor Galaxy Tiny instance - Tiny: 256MB RAM, 0.3 ECU. Essential: $9 / month

I had a look at the memdump details (above) and I think it’s basically all the templates & methods that are chewing up memory.

BTW, I have another microservice Meteor based server we use for another system and it can run with 79MB Ram

So the question is if there are any general strategies that could reduce the initial non-logged in Memory footprint - I have not tested but perhaps Dynamic Imports could help, until we need that code running.

I am talking memory not disk space. I use 16gb memory with 8 cores

$9 a month for a production server isn’t realistic bud. You need to be more realistic. It’s not going to work. Your machine has a third of one core, so in terms of power your tv probably has more…

Thanks.

It’s really a dev machine for the customer - so not full production. Think of it as a “toe in the water”… which they can easily scale up to a production system, if/when needed.

We have customers today that run fine on the 1GB CPUs in a K8s (Galaxy, AWS other).

AWS and other cloud platforms have 1GB machines that are cost about $10/mo. … so that’s an option for us and is our current plan of attack… .but I wanted to see if we could run it on Galaxy… would be nice to have all offerings under one roof.