Arunoda: Leaving the Meteor Community

Thanks a ton for all what you’ve shared to us :+1:

Thanks for all your awesome open source packages :thumbsup: Can you talk briefly about your future plans for Kadira? If you plan on shutting it down or keeping it up for years to come, etc.

7 Likes

Thanks for all of the great work, Arunoda!

I hope someone steps up to move Flow Router forward - perhaps people in the Blaze community would be interested.

9 Likes

You will be missed, we wouldn’t be using Meteor without your work :cry: :cry: :cry:

It’s a big lost in the Meteor Community. Thanks for all Arunoda !

When the news first broke back in Dec '15 that MDG had a change in strategy, was going to adopt Reactjs as their preferred UI Framework and subsequently announced MDG was moving development work to a GraphQL based data solution named Apollo, some in the community were floored. I said it back then, and I’ll say it again…

If a developer is being told by MDG to use Facebook’s React and GraphQL and MDG stops work on Meteor classic for the most part, then why not just go all the way and adopt the full Facebook stack? Why not use Next.js, ‘Create React App’, GraphQL, Redux, and Reactjs like @arunoda said he’s moving to in his farewell address?

Well this is exactly what @arunoda and many devs are doing. This is a real lost to the community.

Thanks for everything @arunoda, you helped me and countless others find our way in the earlier days of Meteor. Your MUP and FlowRouter solutions are still widely in use to this day. You will be missed.

30 Likes

Thanks for all, miss you…

1 Like

So what does this mean for Kadira?

5 Likes

thanks for all …

Sad news. Thank you for everything you’ve done; it has been much appreciated.

I’ve never posted on this forum before, but just for this, I wanted to say thanks to you Arunoda and your team for all the work and contributions you’ve done for Meteor!

2 Likes

Thanks @arunoda for all that you have done.

Thanks for everything you have done!

Can you please change my username here? I messages a long ago about it but no luck :frowning:
Thank you :slight_smile:

Yeah Meteor user will be declining more and more after this.

Moving to NPM should be given more priority than Apollo integration. After moving to NPM, Apollo integration should be much easier compare to integration now and then moving to NPM.

I think moving to NPM is not too late. Meteor still better compare to Create React App or Next.js especially for stability, maturity, and feature richness for building complex app (reactivity, account integration, more broaden supported view engine, etc).

4 Likes

Big lost!

good luck and thank you for everything you’ve done.

1 Like

First of all, we really appreciate the work you’ve done. We are now expressing our interest to take-over flow-router. Will send you a PM.

In your article you mention jquery being an anti-pattern. How is that even related to Meteor ?

We use Meteor + ES6 + React. We ditched Blaze as soon as we got official support from Meteor. We love Blaze but you cannot compare it with React.

Anyway, we believe Meteor is going strong… Apollo ? May be the future, for now we use Grapher and it’s simply better. Grapher evolved so much because it focused on Meteor + MongoDB.

9 Likes

It’s not related to Meteor directly. But just wanna talk about how technologies changed.
Anyway, this is a subjective matter and Meteor still has a pretty solid use case.

2 Likes

@arunoda it was great to use your packages. Thanks and good luck with new projects :wink:

I seriously disagree. It shows Meteor has grown up, and that the time for experimenting and hacking is now past.
When I read Arunoda’s goodbye-letter, and his Meteor work, he is someone who likes new tech, and most of all to experiment with new tech. He jumps on any new tech that looks promising until something more interesting comes along, in the process moving that tech to a higher level (thanks for that!).

I think a lot of these kind of people have moved on from Meteor to something else.

But that doesn’t mean Meteor is dead or dying. It has grown up. We can build cool apps now without hacking. There’s a solution now for every problem and we have amazing hosting solutions.

You can also see this from this forums. It’s full with Noob questions, which is boring for people like Arunoda. But for Meteor it is actually great news because it shows they have accomplished their goal of providing a framework that anyone can use to build apps.

So lets all stop saying Meteor should do this or that. Instead, lets start using the framework and build cool stuff!

27 Likes

Thanks for everything!!

I’ve used your packages and services since my first time playing with Meteor.
You’ve contributed so much, wish you all the best.

I am a paying subscriber for Kadira - are you intending on keeping that going?
Or will that slowly shut down and no longer be supported as Meteor grows?

It really is a shame that we are losing you and all your contributions :frowning:

2 Likes