Babel 7 and Meteor

Babel 7 is almost ready for release, one of the things I’m looking forward is optional chaining, so you can do user?.name?.firstName. From what I can understand, there is no way for users to manually upgrade the Babel used by Meteor bundler to 7.0-beta? (I saw a package called meteor-babel, but I have no idea how that is supposed to be used… Any plans on when Meteor will be upgraded to support Babel 7 (even if it’s only in beta etc)?

Thanks!

What's next for Meteor in 1.7?

can this not be used now by installing the plug-in and adding it in your .babelrc?

Nope, unfortunately its plugin requires babel 7 as its dependency and they have no plans to support babel 6.

There’s been another discussion about this Add Babel plugin “syntax-optional-chaining”

Looks like Meteor 1.6 supports Babel 7 beta. Did you have the chance to test it? https://github.com/meteor/meteor/pull/9090

There was an attempt to introduce Babel 7 during the beta (hence the PR that @nicooprat is referencing), but it failed due to the breaking changes in Babel 7 (which would automatically break your Meteor app if you had any Babel 6 stuff installed) + it was Alfa stage at that point. I think we can start talking about this once Babel 7 is oficially out.

looking forward to this as well because of the TypeScript + Babel integration possibilities

Anyone else having difficulties getting Meteor 1.6.1 to work, due to migration issues to babel 7?

I’ve now spend a couple of hours, but feel like I’m starting to surrender and give up :frowning:

We’ve got Babel 7 working with Meteor 1.6.2-beta.5 now. It was a struggle. Let me know your specific issue and we might be able to help.

I think I’m having troubles understanding the new plugins.

For example; I used babel-plugin-transform-export-extensions so I can use statements like export * as actions from './redux/actions'.

As this specific plugin doesn’t seem to work with babel 7, I tried replacing it with:

[
    "@babel/plugin-syntax-export-namespace-from",
    "@babel/plugin-proposal-export-namespace-from",
    "@babel/plugin-syntax-export-default-from",
    "@babel/plugin-proposal-export-default-from",
]

But I keep getting errors like:

While building for web.browser:
imports/modules/layout/index.js:4:9: This experimental syntax requires
enabling the parser plugin: ‘exportNamespaceFrom’ (4:9)

I was also getting errors on rest operators, but that one I’ve been able to fix.

Duplicate declaration "rest"
11 | const Table = ({ columns, rows, …rest })

Rewriting the export * as ns from './file' statements do bring me passed that specific error. But It would be nice if I understood how the plugins work, to bring that specific support back.