Best hosting options for > 1.4 šŸ˜±

Another +1 for Phusion Passenger.

Vultr(cloud servers) always have coupons for a few free months worth of hosting, just for signing up. Of course, rolling your own is a little trickier than using something like Galaxy but youā€™ll save money and gain the experience of doing it yourself.

One quirk with Passenger is that each app gets its own user account(if you do it using Ubuntu). I initially ran into problems with other services using port 80 so I couldnā€™t start the passenger server. If you go this route, use nginx.

1 Like

Thanks for the shout out! I have a few more exciting things coming in the future as well.

If you need help dockerizing your meteor app you can read some tutorials I wrote:

Also, you can message me on here or find my contact info on the FAQ

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using Clever Cloud since May. Iā€™ve been very happy with it. Good backend interface, very affordable, pretty good support when needed. Not Meteor-focused, but their Node container works just fine with the right setup. They can host databases too but Iā€™ve got my database on mLab. Note that Clever Cloud is based in France and only has servers there and in Montreal, Canada.

I tried the DigitalOcean route, but like others have said, Iā€™d rather not be responsible for the upkeep of a server, even though Iā€™ve got some years of devops experience. These new IaaS offerings are so niceā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been doing some tests both with deploying using PM2-Meteor and Passenger on Scaleway. Hereā€™s my initial experience:

PM2-Meteor
PM2-Meteor is probably the best Mup replacement. You do need to install some essentials on your server but once youā€™ve set it up deployment is fast and fluid. There is a tutorial but it is lacking some essential details, so make sure to have a look at these scripts. I especially like fast access to logs on all instances, and that it uses all cores (cluster mode) enabling zero-downtime deploys.

EDIT: Note that PM2 does not support sticky session. Although this doesnā€™t seem to be a major issue for most app, as far as I read.

Passenger
Their Meteor tutorial is very good but I still did run into many Ubuntu related issues (and you need to have nginx installed prior to Passenger) and issues with Meteor settings.

And man, itā€™s a shitload of work to make your first deploy. After that, yes you can use/write a script to do it for you (they even provide an example), but the initial server setup takes a lot of effort. I cannot imagine having to setup multiple serversā€¦

Another thing I noticed is that unlike PM2, Passenger only provides zero-downtime deployments in its enterprise version.. PM2 does this by default in cluster mode.

Compared to MUP
Both options require you to have much more knowledge about devops than Mup, but I also feel that Mup is like a black box that either works, or it really doesnā€™t. Either way you have to learn Nginx to make the setup production-proof.

Personally I think Iā€™m going to use PM2-Meteor from now.

2 Likes

I recently stood up Nginx in from of my Mup/Meteor deployment. I had issues with my site reloading at first, but took out the cache from the Nginx config and that seems to have stop it. Do you have any tips on Nginx config and/or using/managing Nginx in general? And are there any monitoring tools for Nginx that might make my life easer?

Thanks ā€“

I still wholeheartedly recommend Scalingo :blush:

Heroku is also a very good choice.

I really donā€™t see why anyone would go for Heroku. Itā€™s expensive, and Galaxy is just the most tailored Meteor hosting platform.

IMO, there are 2 options.

1. You pay more and go for Galaxy, and then you have no worries at all.
    Or
  2. You do it yourself on whatever VPS you can find, full control but you spend a lot of time on devops.
2 Likes

Iā€™m actually on Heroku with a project, and I think that the price is really affordableā€¦ But you have to pay the DB separatelly (because their internal options arenā€™t suitable). You have also a bunch of free running-hours to develop the application before releasing in production.

Itā€™s really easy to deploy on Heroku, you set the puildpack, push the code to the git repository and they manage to download everything needed, build and deploy. The only disavantage is that meteor isnā€™t officially supported so you depend on a third party for the buildpack (but you can fork it and manage it as you prefer).

Galaxy and Atlas has been pretty great.

I would just like to point out, free mLab database works perfectly fine with Galaxy.

Galaxy is still a bit more expensive than NodeChef, but is not quite as expensive as it seems at first glance. I personally do not paying an extra $10-15 just for the convenience in fast deployment without issues.

Our team has been able to easily do daily deployments as well as emergency updates, in our production app, flawlessly.

1 Like

Have been very happy with Scalingo. The new free and automated SSL certificates is awesome to:

I must say for the convenience and stability that comes with Galaxy I donā€™t mind paying up the extra buck. I really think we can complement the MDG team on a great hosting product and I feel its good practice to support them since they give us Meteor which made starting my project possible as a single developer (Which Iā€™m convinced would not have been possible before meteor came along). Thanks to MDG for making my business model work!

Also Atlas is pretty great! I tried compose, mlab and modulus before settling with Atlas. The product quality, ssl and replica setup and refined user access rights that come with Atlas has saved me a considerable amount of time.

I understand that on hobby projects one would consider not spending the extra dollars or on really large project choosing the cheapest hosting options can save lots of cash, but for any medium size project I donā€™t see why one would spend time on a slightly cheaper host and loose the convenience/stability of Galaxy and Atlas.

4 Likes

I have been very happy with Prometeus virtual private servers for over 5 years.

What about MS Azure. Did not MS say recently that it will be possible to have Meteor app hosted on Azure without any extra hassle too?

Weā€™re maintaining the integration for Azure App Service which is compatible with Meteor 1.4+ and works through the Native CI system (which can painlessly auto-sync with your remote repository).

The platform is backed by an SLA and provides configurable auto-scaling, zero-downtime updates as well as access to internals (for more advanced architectures such as multi-regional fail-over or A/B testing).

The pricing is similar to Galaxy, but if youā€™re a start-up: Microsoft offers 3 years of free hosting ($150/month/developer for up to 5 accounts) through their BizSpark program which also includes technical support & complimentary access to Office 365, Windows, SQL Server, etc.

5 Likes

Same here, Iā€™ve been using multiple Prometeus iwStack VPSā€™ for a couple of years now, and no problems so far.

A 768MB Ram / 1 CPU with 10GB of storage is about 2.88 euro/month and is perfect for smaller apps, including hosting you MongoDB.

The 1.5GB/2CPU is ample for larger apps. I have one running for a year now, and no downtime so far.

As with all VPS servers like DO, it takes a bit of effort to get up and running, but once your set, you canā€™t beat a VPS on price.

Iā€™m thinking of subscribe to BizSpark, as Iā€™m into a startup, months after saw this ā€¦ Iā€™m still impressed that Microsoft just OFFER 3 years of free server, no fees if we leave at the end. Thatā€™s ā€¦ crazy, isnā€™t it ?
Did you had any problem w/ integrating azure, subscribing to BizSpark etc. ?
Even tough I read a lot of time that tried to run Meteor on not special-meteor platform as Galaxy is ā€œprobably not a good ideaā€ and itā€™s complex, I finally think itā€™s RIDICULOUS to have to rent specific servers, as devs we have to be able to set up a server IMHO.
Besides I donā€™t get why a VPS is like more than 10 time or IDK less expensive than Meteor-dedicated servers as Galaxy, why donā€™t just one propose a galaxy-like service which will use on the background DO servers (for instance) but offers an interface and a deployment like Galaxy for easily handle the server.

hi @satya

Some of the thinks we like about Heroku:

• itā€™s very easy to deploy and setup (https://github.com/AdmitHub/meteor-buildpack-horse)
  • multiple add-ons for databases, logging and more
  • 0 maintenance and scale cost with just one-click
  • hobby dynamo price si excellent for small projects
  • excellent free tier for VMs & database
1 Like

Hello,

Iā€™d like to try your platform, please contact me on roshdy89@gmail.com