Cannot installl on Windows - Pathnames inside .meteor folder are too long

Trying to install Meteor manually on Windows 10 since the installer fails, using these directions - Installation on windows

But copying the tar and trying to unzip it also fails since the pathnames are simply too long.

e.g.
D:\tmp.meteor\packages\coffeescript\1.1.0\plugin.compileCoffeescript.os\npm\node_modules\meteor\babel-compiler\node_modules\meteor-babel\node_modules\babel-core\node_modules\babel-code-frame\node_modules\chalk\node_modules\strip-ansi\node_modules\ansi-regex

Folder could not be read in its entirety Windows error = 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

Worked quite well for me ,Dirk . Try re- installing elsewhere. May be a
question of suck and see. Mind you I’ve since installed Windows 10 insider
which comes with Ubuntu cli & meteor install is flawless.

I am getting this same issue and its very difficult to solve this problem without any third party app, i guess the best thing to do is to use a third party app like Long Path Tool. Just download it and use it to solve this issue. I hope this would help.

I just updated my Windows 10 to latest Insider build and will try the bash environment. But will it interfere with other tools, is the filesystem inside the Ubuntu subsystem accessible by Windows? Because I still want to use my IDE, explorer etc.

How does Long Path Tool solve the problem of long path names? I will have to try it out.

I tried the Ubuntu bash shell in Windows 10 but its completely useless for Meteor dev -

• Meteor installs but doesn’t work under it and immediately quits with an error
  • even it it did work running an app there under won’t be visible outside to the rest of Windows right?

Hello, Try to use “Long path tool” program. it works

I would also suggest the Long Path Tool. Definitely the best. :slight_smile: