Cant install meteor through npm install - Windows server

Hi @storyteller and thanks,

I’ll try with version 2.5.6 as soon as I can, which means later today.
I was wondering what do you mean by

… try on Windows to use the command line install.

Thanks again and bye …

1 Like

Hi all,

Well, I just tried to install version 2.5.6 as @storyteller suggested but with same results.

Then I executed just $ npm install -g meteor (without specific version) to try installing the brand new version of meteor: 2.7. The result is exactly the same:

$ npm install -g meteor
C:\Users\<userNameL>\AppData\Roaming\npm\meteor-installer -> C:\Users\<userNameL>\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\meteor\cli.js

> meteor@2.7.0 install C:\Users\<userNameL>\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\meteor
> node cli.js install

Meteor is already installed at C:\Users\<userNameL>\AppData\Local\.meteor
If you want to reinstall it, run:

$ meteor-installer uninstall
  $ meteor-installer install

+ meteor@2.7.0
updated 1 package in 5.441s

Administrador@contaserver MINGW64 ~
$

What I think is the installation gets messed up somewhere and thinks meteor is already installed. Of course it is installed, but several different versions. Look at the message:

Meteor is already installed at C:\Users<userNameL>\AppData\Local.meteor

But, shouldn’t that path be:
C:\Users<userNameL>\AppData\Local.meteor\packages\meteor-tool

I think for some reason the installer fails on Windows, maybe not in Linux.

Is there someway to tell the installer that the path is:
C:\Users<userNameL>\AppData\Local.meteor\packages\meteor-tool
And not
C:\Users<userNameL>\AppData\Local.meteor

Thanks …

What I’ve also found is that meteor-installer uninstall and meteor-installer install also do not work on Windows (I’m using Windows 11). I have to either remove or rename the .meteor directory and then install.

Did you try uninstalling first ?
npm -g uninstall meteor I don’t know if this work.

I had a similar issue on my end but on ubuntu, where I had an older version of meteor installed using the old method.

Did you try curl https://install.meteor.com/ | sh

D:\MeteorProjects>npm -g uninstall meteor
removed 47 packages in 0.365s

But it doesn’t do anything, meteor is still there and still works.

I know this doesn’t apply to you in Windows: Install | Meteor API Docs

But have you tried to manually remove the folders?

@kheang, that is what I said I have to do. See above. :wink: I’m just pointing out that meteor-installer uninstall and meteor-installer install do not work, or I can’t get them to work. :wink:

1 Like

Stupid question but did you try to go to the AppData/Roaming/npm folder and execute meteor-installer uninstall ?

I am doing some tests on my Windows 10 home PC and at first it worked and then couldn’t find the PATH anymore so I had to manually type in the full path in order to run that executable to uninstall meteor.

I noticed that in Powershell when I type the full path, it opens a cmd prompt window to run it.
I also tested it in cmd window run as admin and it worked for me.

nothing for meteor exists there. But this walk down AppData/Roaming/ and AppData/Roaming/npm lane helped me delete about 3 gigs of unused stuff. :rofl:

LOL

That’s odd because on my PC i do have AppData/Roaming/npm/meteor-installer there.
That’s how I was able to uninstall it using that command.
Maybe if you do a search and find where meteor-installer is and type the full path it would work.

But just guessing.

I just looked at the meteor-installer file and all it does is execute the cli.js
So I tested with

node c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\meteor\cli.js uninstall

And that worked also.

Did a search for meteor-installer, nothing was found.

Hmmm… for me, Meteor doesn’t exist in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules instead it’s existing here: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\.meteor.

Yeah I think the one in the Roaming/npm/node_modules is the installer.

What version of npm and node are you using?

I’m using node v14.16.1 because of the Meteor requirements for node.

Ok, I just updated my version of nvm (GitHub - coreybutler/nvm-windows: A node.js version management utility for Windows. Ironically written in Go.) and updated to the same version of node as you are using.
Ran npm install -g meteor and for some reason now its installing it from this location:

C:\Program Files\nodejs\meteor-installer -> C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\meteor\cli.js

> meteor@2.7.0 install C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\meteor
> node cli.js install

And after I was able to run meteor-installer uninstall also.

Well, that’s interesting. What version of node were you using before?

It was 12.x not exactly sure the number, but I was just trying to see if I could reproduce the issue.

If it doesn’t mess up your stuff, maybe you could try uninstalling node and using nvm for windows to install it and see if that fixes all your issues.

But i am still guessing here.

I totally appreciate your help in figuring this out. Yeah, I totally don’t want to mess with the node version right now, I’m not currently using nvm, but probably should be, lol. I think after I finish my next project I’ll install nvm, especially since Meteor keeps the node version pegged back so far.

I should say I feel so confused about this all.

Some questions about npm meteor install:

1. Does it use the same folder that meteor create uses? (C:\Users\smrso\AppData\Local.meteor\packages\meteor-tool)

2. Does it allow to have several meteor versions in that folder? (as we are accustomed to do. I have several meteor apps. Each one uses a different version of meteor. I need them all).

3. If I run meteor-installer uninstall or npm uninstall meteor, which meteor version exactly will it try to uninstall? Because there are so many of them in installation folder? I counted more that 20 meteor versions in folder C:\Users\smrso\AppData\Local.meteor\packages\meteor-tool.

Finally, when I run $ npm install -g meteor, and it says:

Meteor is already installed at C:\Users<userNameL>\AppData\Local.meteor
If you want to reinstall it, run:

• meteor@2.7.0

What is the reason it says that? meteor 2.7 was not installed. And if I run:

is it going to delete .meteor folder? Will all my meteor installed versions be gone after that?

If you look at my tests, you can see that depending on how node was installed, the path it installs meteor seems to be different.
But from what I understand, there are 2 folders or path for meteor.
One for the installer and one for the actual application or something like that.

If you run meteor-installer uninstall it removes meteor completely yes.
From what I can see in my tests.

Hi,
Please check out this discussion 57746 to read an answer to this topic.
Thanks …