Chrome 51 error: The basic HTML.TransformingVisitor does not support foreign objects in attributes

Since upgrading to Chrome 51, I’m now seeing this error occasionally when switching routes (I’m using FlowRouter):
“The basic HTML.TransformingVisitor does not support foreign objects in attributes. Define a custom visitAttributes for this case.”

Once I get this error, no further route switches will work until the page is refreshed. Is anyone else experiencing this? There’s an issue opened but it doesn’t seem to have gotten much activity so I’m wondering if there’s something unusual I’m doing.

1 Like

Yes, also seeing this in Google Chrome v51.0.2704.63 (64-bit). It just started occurring. No code changes on our end w/r/t my Meteor sources.

From the JS Developer console:

Error: The basic HTML.TransformingVisitor does not support foreign objects in attributes. Define a custom visitAttributes for this case. at visitAttributes (2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:83) at visitAttributes (2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:89) at Object.f._expandAttributes (2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:89) at p (2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:89) at 2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:89 at Function.e._withTemplateInstanceFunc (2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:91) at 2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:89 at Object.f._withCurrentView (2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:89) at c (2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:89) at o.Computation._compute (2457910….js?meteor_js_resource=true:21)

I am seeing this as well (Chrome v51)

Try

meteor update iron:middleware-stack

I also am seeing this error but my app uses the lastest package version

meteor update iron:middleware-stack
The specified packages are at their latest compatible versions.

I have same error with Flow Router.

2 Likes

Does your .meteor/versions contain iron:middleware-stack@1.1.0?

Yes, it does contain iron:middleware-stack@1.1.0

Weird, can’t help you in that case, sorry.

I have this error on 2 differents sites in --production mode

Have you been able to reproduce reliably? I am seeing this in my production logs but can’t reproduce it locally, even in --production mode.

No, it is not reproducible every time, it seems to be random.
Sometimes when you follow a link inside the application, the page is not displayed and you have this error in the console.
So you reload the page (F5) and the page is displayed. Then you try the same navigation scenario as when the error occurred, but you can not reproduce it. Frustrating.

I’m having this same issue but also with Flow Router vs. Iron Router.

I’m having this issue too.

Using iron-router and Meteor 1.3.2.4 and just encountered it:

5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:3 Exception from Tracker recompute function:
5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:3 Error: The basic HTML.TransformingVisitor does not support foreign objects in attributes.  Define a custom visitAttributes for this case.
    at visitAttributes (5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:88)
    at visitAttributes (5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:94)
    at Object.f._expandAttributes (5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:94)
    at p (5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:94)
    at 5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:94
    at Function.e._withTemplateInstanceFunc (5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:96)
    at 5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:94
    at Object.f._withCurrentView (5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:94)
    at c (5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:94)
    at o.Computation._compute (5d3b926….js?meteor_js_resource=true:38)

This happened on a computer running Windows 7 and Chrome 51.0.2704.84.

Refreshing the page fixed it. It happened randomly and I have no idea how to reproduce it.

@sashko Is it possible for someone at MDG to look at this issue? Between the forum and the GitHub issue it seems to be widespread and a significant problem even though none of us have been able to formally reproduce it.

Looks like Tom Coleman found a workaround with adding white space in <li> tags that only have one child: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues/6793#issuecomment-227606218

Unfortunately the workaround is a little bit absurd for large apps.

I agree, it’s not ideal, but something is better than nothing. Hopefully Chrome will push a fix for this sooner rather than later.

1 Like

I’m also experiencing this pretty randonly