Digital Ocean vs Galaxy Dev. Edition | Pricing and scaling

Hi,

I have a few apps on production which are hosted using Digital Ocean + Compose.io + MUP.
Everything worked without much issues, and I find the D.O. 1GB plan pretty affordable.

My question comes with scaling for many concurrent users. Since I didn’t find one single clear step-by-step explanation of how to properly load balance a Meteor app (many are from 2/3 years ago, and the Cluster package seems to be not maintained anymore), I have to ask: Will Galaxy make all these scaling issues easier? How would the comparison of price-performance be, when compared to Digital Ocean?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

If you think your app could not afford downtime or scaling issues, or you are actively working on that app, or something else, such that the time you will have to spend on fixing deployment/maintenance/devops issues is far too valuable than the amount of money you’ll pay galaxy, then by all means go for galaxy. It is just awesome!

But if you don’t mind spending time on deployment/maintenance/devops, I find phusion passenger very easy, powerful and robust. And when your app grows big and popular enough that you’ll need more than just a few instances autoscaling, but also rolling restarts, incremental updates, multi-machine scaling etc, then galaxy will become pretty much the defacto choice.

4 Likes

Is the included Galaxy performance monitoring service as complete as Kadira? I’m really used to those metrics. Can I use Kadira with Galaxy?

No, the galaxy monitoring service provides really basic container metrics, but you can use kadira at the same time. Kadira is deployment agnostic. You can even use it during development.

1 Like

Ok, that’s what I was thinking also, just had to ask.

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Check out NodeChef, I have been using it and it’s awesome. $9 a month and includes mongo.

Updated with link :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like