Finding out the version of a package from within your app

Is there a way to find out the version of a package that an app is currently running?

My use case is showing the user a prompt in Telescope when an update for a package becomes available. I’m already getting the latest version available through Atmosphere’s API, now I just need to figure out the version the user is running.

What would be the best way to do that?

How do you check which package version you are using via Meteor Helper

That’s a great question, sacha.

If I’m not mistaken, the Package global only contains the exports of the package and no meta-information.

Until that situation is deemed a problem to be remedied, I’d definitely just parse .meteor/versions using fs.readFileSync or similar

My package sanjo:meteor-files-helpers has a function for it. MeteorFilesHelpers.getPackageVersion('acme:package-name') (See https://github.com/Sanjo/meteor-meteor-files-helpers/blob/master/src/meteor_files_helpers.js#L81-L85).

That’s awesome, I’ll have to take a look, thanks!

Does the deployed (bundled) app also contain the .versions file or is it a development-only thing?

It doesn’t, so although @Sanjo’s solution works great locally, I still haven’t found a solution that works for deployed apps. Maybe that’s something that needs to be added at the core level?

I’m making a package, rocket:module, that is relying on .versions, I’ve got a function called getInstalledVersion in there, among other things useful things that I’ll separate into another package. But yeah, I’ll need to find a solution for this same thing too!

A build plugin is only executed in the development environment. So you should be fine I think.

Also just in case not everyone knows this:

You can make your package debugOnly: true. This means that you package is only included while developing and is excluded when bundling for production.

Package.describe({
  debugOnly: true
});

You can use this for development packages like Mongol and Velocity.

Any word on this, @sacha? It does seem like good metadata to keep around when loading up the application…

@dgreensp confirmed it’s not possible. I agree it’d be very helpful data to have around, but we’ll have to do without it for now I guess.

Yep. It’s very useful. But unfortunately not available, one of the solution is to copy the .meteor/version file to the private directory.

We can do a symlink (mac, linux) or do it when we deploying. (write as a build plugin)

I didn’t test the latter one, but it should work.

Arunoda’s idea would work. Then any server code can access the file since it will be published with the app.