Host on Azure App Service (Autoscale, Zero-downtime deploy, Multi-region)

@tgoldenberg @oakmad Taking a look at the moment, in the meantime: can you please open an issue on the Github repo.

1 Like

Just released v1.4.0 with support for the setting ā€œMETEOR_AZURE_NOCACHEā€ which will clear the cache pre-build when set to any value. I think that should solve your problem, but otherwise please go ahead and open an issue.

Thanks, it looks like something failed on the meteor initially, setting this flag cleared it up

1 Like

Sometimes if the build is interrupted you can end up with a corrupted installation (not really any different from local Meteor though :smile:)

Glad to hear thatā€™s sorted.

Oh and make sure to turn it off for future builds (to avoid excessively long build times)

@ramijarrar Just curious, have you tried the Web App service for Linux? It looks like it offers the same benefits as the regular Web App, but without the awkwardness of Windows for us Linux peopleā€¦ Might be nice to add to the repo a deploy.sh that supports the Linux environment as well

So this works great, we got it up and running. The one thing I notice is that if Iā€™ve already deployed and Iā€™m using the site, and then I schedule another deployment with git push azure master or whatever, right around the ā€œmeteor-azure: Deploying bundleā€ phase, the site becomes inaccessible (or just shuts off). How do get around that?

@ramijarrar
Here are some other questions (not all related to the repository, but mainly around using Azure Web App with Meteor:

1. Does the deployment script take a long time for you? Iā€™m getting times over 30 minutes for a single deploy.

2. What process do you use for testing? I am using the local Git process since I was getting errors linking with Github. What I have worked out now is to create a Deployment Slot, deploy to it, then view it, and then deploy to the production slot.

3. How do you access your logs? Previously, I could access these easily on a VM by less or tail ing them. Have you found a setup that works for you with the Azure Web App?

Thank you so much!

Just responded to your GitHub issue regarding Linux App Service.

1 Like

If you can replicate this behavior with the latest release, please go ahead and open an issue.

New builds should definitely be queued without affecting the active deployment.

1 Like

Regarding your questions about Azure Web App with Meteor:

1. The latest release (v1.4.4) should cut down build times by up to a factor of 3 (we have considerably large apps now deploying in ~8-10m down from at least 30-40)

2. If youā€™re referring to basic exploratory testing before pushing to production: you should consider setting up blue-green deployments by using the swap feature to automate switching a staging slot into production without downtime.

3. You can stream logs under ā€œMonitoring > Log streamā€ in the portal or by accessing the Kudu service (use an external tool if you want to store and search e.g Logentries)

For future reference: Microsoft has pretty extensive documentation for App Service (as well as Kudu, if you want to learn more about the platformā€™s internals)

Does it mean, we donā€™t need to demeteorize, or use MUP etc ? Can we use the project src code directly in Git repository with just the config scripts folder ?

@satyakvv Yes you are right :slight_smile:

Update: Weā€™ve just released version 2, which has been rewritten as an npm CLI to eliminate many UX pain-points and address some of the issues people faced with server-side bundling (see full announcement here).