This is more of a general SEO question, as I’ve been having a heck of a time figuring out what is and isn’t working with regard to my new website getting found by web crawlers. I’m running on Galaxy and have the
mdg:seo package added, so I’m assuming that the prerender.io setup is working fine. I’ve also added the
kadira:dochead package to set my per-page meta tags in my templates’ onCreate() methods.
When I load the website and inspect the
<head> tag from my browser, I see these values filled in just like they should be. However, when I run “Fetch as Google” (part of the Google Webmaster Tools), the downloaded HTTP response shows the un-rendered HTML of the page (i.e. the default
head tag and the one long Meteor script in the body). I also did a few "Fetch and Render"s, with mixed results. Sometimes the full web page renders in the preview window, and sometimes I get the following result:
I get the spinner icon when data is still loading normally, but this screenshot is from a page with no subscriptions. I’ve tried implementing FastRender, but whether I’m making router-level subscriptions from the server or not, the behavior of Google’s Fetch and Render seems pretty intermittent. I don’t know whether FastRender is helping, or how to actually confirm that I’m getting crawled properly.
P.S. I’m using FlowRouter and Blaze, in case that’s relevant.