Yesterday I spent some time looking into our reload times, and I found a trivial way of shaving 15+ seconds off reload speeds… Turns out that tons of garbage collection was happening during the reloads (in the supervisor process, not the meteor server process). So I just added
NODE_OPTIONS="--max-old-space-size=4096" and everything magically got way faster.
The default value of this parameter on 64bit systems is 1GB which is not nearly enough for large Meteor projects. I definitely recommend tweaking this parameter to see if it helps.
I’ll look into submitting a PR on Meteor for this change, since it’s such an easy win.
TLDR: In dev mode, prefix the
meteor command with