Install script hanging on "Downloading Meteor distribution"

Running the install script from install.meteor.sh (which we run to build Docker images for deployment, as well as for CI) has been failing on and off – it seems to frequently hang at “Downloading Meteor distribution”. Could some folks on the Meteor team look into this – I posted it in the Discord but I think it may have gotten lost in the shuffle?

Same here (on circleci)

Thanks for reporting, @brianlukoff!

cc @philippeoliveira @leonardoventurini @denyhs

Thanks for looking into this! Any ETA on when the issue will be resolved?

Hi, our DevOps and Open Source teams are working together right now to fix this issue as soon as possible. We will keep you posted.

1 Like

Hello,

We wanted to let you know that we’ve completed maintenance on our Meteor Packages system. As a result, you should notice a significant improvement in performance going forward.

We’ll continue to monitor the system closely to ensure everything runs smoothly.

4 Likes

Hi, Philippe!
I have some builds taking longer than 1:30h to complete right now on circleci - they usually take less than 20min. It’s stuck in the install packages step.
Can you please double-check if the maintenance is finished and if there are indeed performance improvements?

Thanks.

Hello, Renan!

These builds that take around 20 minutes and now take around 1:30h, did they start today or are they a few days old?

Regarding maintenance, yes, it contains improvements and we no longer have errors when downloading meteor and packages. We are monitoring and plan to make more adjustments between today and tomorrow.

Best Regards,

It might have been a temporary error. Yes, I even had to cancel them because it wouldn’t finish at all.
After retrying, they succeeded and are 5% faster overall so it might have been related! But everything is solved now, thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for your work on this! I’ll report back if we continue to see any issues on our side.

3 Likes

This is happening for me again right now. Download has been stuck for 38 minutes.

Same here, @hschmaiske @philippeoliveira these are getting stuck again.

Hello,

Thanks for the status, we’ll check it out.

@brianlukoff A question about which CI is currently being used is it a proprietary tool/script or a third party tool(CircleCI, Travis …)?

We’re seeing it in two different places:

A GitHub action that looks like this:

name: CI

on:
  push:
    branches: [ master, develop, smoketest ]

jobs:
  build:
    runs-on: ubuntu-latest
    timeout-minutes: 20

steps:
    - uses: actions/checkout@v4
    - uses: meteorengineer/setup-meteor@v2
      with:
        meteor-release: '3.0.2'
    - run: meteor npm install
      working-directory: ./app
    - run: meteor npm test
      working-directory: ./app

We’re also seeing it when building Docker images which just downloads the script using curl -v https://install.meteor.com and then executes it.

It was also failing for us yesterday, but seems to be working fine just now

This might be related but our gitlab ci pipelines failed multiple times this week when downloading the node 14 fork from meteor. Never had that issue before.

Our solution was to retry. It was just apparent since this was never an issue before.

I’m still having issues too. It never ends sometimes and is very fast in the other ones.
It’s very intermittent.

@philippeoliveira FYI - we’re having the same issue occur again, both from Docker container builds and from GitHub Actions.

Hi @brianlukoff , thanks for reporting.

We have an active debug for this. Let’s analyze what could be happening and I will get back to you.

Thanks! Let me know if there’s any info I can provide that would help track down the issue.