Kadira APM code is now open source

Hi everyone,

We’ve just published an announcement on our open source release of Kadira APM’s code, with a bit of background behind the decision and details around how we’ve open sourced it and how to best use the code yourselves.

A short summary for you:

• We know how important APM is to Meteor users, and that’s why worked quickly to acquire the code when we originally heard about Kadira APM’s shutdown
  • We’ve worked with Arunoda to extend the shut down of the original Kadira APM service to May 15, 2017
  • We’ve open sourced the code in a read-only repo intended to be forked (we will not be maintaining it as an active project ourselves)
  • A group of Kadira users have volunteered to maintain a community fork, and we and Arunoda are helping to kick off that effort

We are happy we were able to work with @arunoda to turn Kadira APM into an open source project the Meteor community can take forward and evolve, and look forward to seeing how this project progresses. If you’d like to get involved, reach out to @rohit2b by DM.

26 Likes

So excited to see where this goes. Now people can run Meteor with fully open source tools in any environment, and even get APM!

5 Likes

This is good news for Kadira APM lovers like me.

This is amazing! Kadira is a brilliant APM tool and I’m excited to see it open sourced!

Good move, Kadira is amazing and I couldn’t do without it. One month doesn’t leave the “community” much time to productionize this though?

Any news about the Galaxy launch?

1 Like

Has anyone actually cloned the repo and gotten it to run?
I tried and failed, but maybe I don’t know enough or have the wrong platform.

I’m also having issues. Docker errors out with:

“ERROR: Service ‘kadira-ui’ failed to build: The command ‘/bin/sh -c bash $METEORD_DIR/on_build.sh’ returned a non-zero code: 2”

and trying to run kadira-engine (after running npm install) with the run.sh shell script also errors out with:

Error connecting to the Mongo Metrics Cluster

Setting the environment variable MONGO_SHARD_URL_one does not help. Anyone able to get it working?

I hope that anyone in the community will provide a paid service (if the license allows it). I think it’s clear that Kadira is not an easy “run it by yourself” solution, it was not designed for that, especially if you see how much work and knowledge arunoda has invested in it.

1 Like

The license definitely does and it would be great for someone to do this!

We’re not quite at the point yet of offering this as a service (if we ever do), but we have got it working internally on our (AWS) infrastructure - so it’s definitely doable, if not straightforward!

3 Likes

@sashko, @rohit2b : Do you have access to the Kadira knowledgebase assets?

Clicking the dashboard’s help icons takes me to support.kadira.io/knowledgebase, which I’m assuming will not be a viable option after mid-May?

And for “learn more” links which go to kadira.io/academy.

Just CC’ing Arunoda

CC: @arunoda

@robfallows

MDG has the access to the support forum. I hope they’ll continue to support it.
And it’s the same as the kadira.io/academy.

But I’ll also try to keep them online as needed after the kadira.io shutdown.

1 Like

@arunoda @robfallows @rpitt

We use a different support (Zendesk) and documentation system (Hexo) for Galaxy and Meteor APM.

We thus won’t be using the support.kadira.io system - which is Uservoice. We’re migrating the content to our documentation system. The content for the Galaxy and Meteor APM docs is open source, so you can feel free to point to it or fork it: https://github.com/meteor/galaxy-docs

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks, @rohit2b

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@rohit2b I am facing issues, while hosting kadira-apm…Can you plz help on how to configure init-shell.sh?

@robfallows @rpitt @arunoda any pointers to a fork repo that has a working set of scripts? Thanks!

Working no, but I am currently working towards a something that will help users get setup quickly and easily, until then if you would like to request any advice you can do so in the https://github.com/kadira-io issues and I would be glad to help.

Regards

To clarify @rpitt’s comment: we have had Kadira working in-house for over a week now. In addition we have refactored the build process towards a completely Docker-based deployment, to make it as simple as possible to implement.

However, we do not have a repo we are happy to release, in that it’s not in a clean, ready-to-use state. I have spoken to our CTO to see if we can release anyway - warts and all, but there are a lot of gaps to plug - not least the Kadira intellectual property (including name and logo) and references to the extant Kadira sites (for docs, FAQs, etc). In addition, the tooling around the Docker containers is currently incomplete.

I’ll update on this thread if anything changes.

9 Likes