MDG acquires Kadira APM

Same for some of my customers where regulatory and privacy related issues force me to host the app itself in Switzerland. I simply can’t move the App to Galaxy even if I wanted. Even AWS Frankfurt zone is not okay for some of my clients.

Connecting to SaaS providers abroad and sending isolated data to those endpoints is fine though and that’s why I’d love to pay for Kadira. Else i’d have to spin up another docker container and operate it myself :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Same here, privacy concerns do not allow us to use galaxy for some customers. Server needs to be in switzerland.

@kaufmae , mer fahred denn einerlei es kadira ufe, vielleicht chasch denn das bruche :wink:

1 Like

Hi everyone - I’m the product manager for Galaxy and Meteor APM here at MDG and wanted to respond to some questions about Kadira.

Since learning last December that Arunoda would be shutting down Kadira, we’ve been working quickly over the past months to acquire the Kadira APM codebase and launch a commercial Meteor APM solution. As part of our commitment to the Meteor ecosystem, we are also releasing this acquired code under an open source license for anyone in the community to use, maintain, and extend.

We’ve negotiated with Arunoda to keep the current Kadira service up until May 15. We’ll release the open source code next week - giving folks a month to adopt open source Kadira.

APM has long been a top-requested feature of Galaxy users, so we’re focusing our engineering efforts on an integrated solution. We did evaluate running Meteor APM as a standalone service, but instead opted to build APM features into a single product, with the Kadira as a starting foundation. For MDG, this is the best path for Meteor APM to be a commercially sustainable product. We’ve reached out to all current Kadira customers to offer early access to Meteor APM and a growing number of Galaxy users are now using the new APM features for their production apps.

We understand that some Meteor users will choose to host elsewhere - and that’s why we are releasing the Kadira codebase as an open source distribution alongside the commercial Meteor APM option in Galaxy. We’re coordinating with several members of the Meteor community to become maintainers of this open source release. Existing Kadira customers can use the open source version as a self-hosted option; third parties can also take this version and build a standalone commercial APM solution if they choose to.

7 Likes

I’m interested in helping to maintain the open source version. I dont have huge amounts of time but it might be a good learn. Besides that, i would like to return the favor to the meteor community that helped me woth some great packages. This ofcourse includes Arunoda!

3 Likes

Thanks @cloudspider! Will follow up with you on this offer.

2 Likes

Hi Rohit, great news about picking up Kadira. Will it find its way into the galaxy console or will galaxy customers need to continue running both. Also will we need to update our apps with a new package before May 15?

Here’s an update on the open source release of Kadira APM’s code:

3 Likes

It is so intersting to look at the source code…

So so many things to learn from !

For those who just want the repo URL ! Enjoy ! :wink:

4 Likes

Hey @michelfloyd - this will be available as Meteor APM, and will be packaged as part of an enhanced tier of Galaxy. Pricing will scale with usage — just like Galaxy containers today.

In the move to Meteor APM in Galaxy, you will need to update your apps with a new package.

More details coming in the next week!

1 Like

Anyone know where I can find a writeup on how set up my own Kadira server with this code?

Was thinking of this setup:

EC2 (Kadira) --> mLab (Kadira MongoDb)
Monitors ==> EC2 (www.test-app1.com) --> mLab (App MongoDb)
Monitors ==> EC2 (www.test-app2.com) --> mLab (App MongoDb)

Can a single instance of Kadira monitor two different apps?

It requires some work to get around the credit card checks and some other stuff.
Got it running in our company using some ugly patches.
At very least you have to run 3 node services (kadira-rma, kadira-engine, kadira-ui), where kadira-ui is the only meteor project + 1 mongo database.

And you have to specify your own endpoint in your app:

Kadira.connect(appId, appSecret, {
    endpoint: 'http://url:11011',
  });

Can someone who has successfully launched their own setup on their own machine share how they configured init-shell.sh ?

It would be really helpful if the ReadMe said more than “update configurations”.

I also need help on how to configure init-shell.sh? any help would be appreciated.