Meteor Cordova and Play Store

Play Store has set their Android API level requirement to 28 for new apps and starting from 1 November 2019 for updates as well (link). Meteor’s Cordova integration uses cordova-android 7.1.4 (changelog), which according to cordova docs supports only API levels 19 - 27 (link).

Does this mean that if I were to start a new Meteor Cordova project now, I would likely be unable to add it to Play Store? From a recent github post Ben does not seem very enthusiastic about keeping up with Cordova updates, so some clarification on this risk would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 Likes

I recently had an issue submitting a new app to the playstore because it was insisting on SDK 28 and by default Meteor was building with 27.

I followed the steps here to use a hacked project.properties in cordova-build-override/platforms/android with target=android-29, then I successfully built and uploaded it:

I used 29 instead of 28 not realising that it wasn’t officially supported by Meteor’s Cordova, and thought I might as well get the latest.

It’s currently in beta testing but so far its working ok…

5 Likes

I’ve an app in production in Google Play with target 28, it’s working fine in 4 different architectures (even though warnings about unoptimized APK). I don’t remember what I did (fix that months ago), I just set android-minSdkVersion preference in mobile-config.js

For unoptimized apk you can follow steps here and upload .aab for your project

Blog

2 Likes