Meteor Deploy didn't give me an IP address

When I did my first successful deploy, I was not given the IP address for my deployed site. How do I get this so I can point my own domain name instead of myappname.meteor.com?

To quote the docs:

“If you use a domain name other than meteor.com you must ensure that the name resolves to origin.meteor.com. If you want a top-level domain like myapp.com, you’ll need a DNS A record, matching the IP address of origin.meteor.com.”

But what is the ip address of origin.meteor.com
That’s what I need.

When I type myapp.origin.meteor.com into a service such as https://www.site24x7.com/find-ip-address-of-web-site.html
I get several different IPs. Which one do I use?

I haven’t seen that IP information in the docs :frowning:

You can add multiple A records for the same host in most DNS management systems. The name will resolve in round-robin fashion. If MDG have done their job properly it shouldn’t matter which IP is used.

1 Like

I just added a CNAME record to my DNS zone, which means you don’t need an IP address

2 Likes

@jamgold’s is a better answer.

I don’t know where my brain was yesterday :worried:

But CNAME are aliases for my site name.
I want the A record which is an IP.

From the 2nd part of the quote from the docs that @robfallows put here:

If you want a top-level domain like myapp.com, you’ll need a DNS A record, matching the IP address of origin.meteor.com

A record is a IP number not a name. Meaning I get direct access to my site without it waisting time parsing through all the names. This is essential for SEO since for example Google, doesn’t like redirects much.

I suppose the additional question is why do sites deployed with meteor have several IPs, if I need only one?

That is what I really need: the A record IP address. Sorry if I wasn’t clear but I got confused by the docs myself.

benjick@web:~$ host origin.meteor.com
origin.meteor.com has address 54.83.54.187
origin.meteor.com has address 54.225.83.89
origin.meteor.com has address 54.163.249.45
origin.meteor.com has address 54.243.218.122
origin.meteor.com has address 107.21.116.12
origin.meteor.com has address 54.83.1.203
origin.meteor.com has address 54.243.218.35

FWIW Cloudflare supports CNAME root domain

And what are you hosting on Meteors servers? I don’t think it’s really good for production since they shut down apps when they are inactive

1 Like

Thanks @benjick
It is a temporary site location while Galaxy isn’t publicly released.

A CNAME is a DNS construct and doesn’t in itself impact SEO. Read this stackoverflow. As I said in my original answer, you can add multiple A records to a name and it will work. However, if MDG change their IPs (or add or remove any) you won’t see those changes automatically - which is what a CNAME gives you.