Meteor Hosting News: Galaxy Roadmap

Great feedback, we are analyzing the options here, thanks!

We are also considering this in “Monitoring system” item

Monitoring system

Smart alerts specific for Meteor apps and Galaxy servers

1 Like

Soon. First quarter of 2020. Sound good? :wink:

5 Likes

To be honest I don’t know much about it hehe

Are you publishing Meteor apps to Amazon Fire App Store? I would be glad to learn more about it.

The idea is to provide the best experience building and publishing app to stores. For App store (Apple) is possible to even create the first version automatically, without manual steps. Let’s see how far we can go, I have done this already in the past but not as an external service.

Also, we are going to support Cordova as it is the default Meteor way but I don’t think we are going to have any blockers to support any Native build pipeline like React Native or any other framework.

5 Likes

I wasn’t going too add my 2c until @filipenevola said in another topic:

Bit of an out-of-the-box suggestion, but how about building into Galaxy a complete cloud-based-IDE where you can hack around with Meteor projects and deploy them for free? That way the barrier to entry for new users is zero. More colleges may start using it for teaching. You can show your boss how quick and easy but powerful Meteor is to use, let them play with it themselves without having to invest any time.

Currently you can’t use jsfiddle/codepen/codesandbox to play around with Meteor or even Blaze (it’s difficult to answer Blaze questions on StackOverflow when there’s no easy way to show it working).

I used to use cloud9 for this until the free teir became too small to reliably run Meteor.

Pebble built a really cool cloudpebble system where you could develop apps, build, publish and install to your watch direct from their website, it was brilliant (while it lasted).

Free projects can be public-only and can easily be forked by other people just like on jsfiddle, etc. When deployed free apps can have whatever time/cpu restrictions you want.

Then you can have paid projects where not only do we pay Galaxy for hosting the app, we also pay you to host our dev environment. Then we can log in from any browser, change some code and re-deploy.

5 Likes

Sounds great! Looking forward to it :+1:

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your ideas.

I think the effort to build a cloud-based-IDE would be not worth but I can be wrong. I’m not sure web IDEs will make a significant impact on attracting new users but maybe I’m too old school hehe.

How hard would it be to integrate Meteor with existent tools like JSFiddle/Codepen/CodeSandbox? Working with these tools, I think, would be probably better than a new IDE.

Deploy from Git (on Galaxy roadmap) and up-to-date tutorials (on Meteor roadmap) can help beginners a lot. Also, simple build and publish to native app stores can be an exciting point for new startups :wink:

2 Likes

I tend to agree that the payback probably wouldn’t be worth it, but it would be cool :wink: I used to love cloud9 because it meant I could play with Meteor even inside my corporate firewall when I had a spare 5 mins…

Cloud9 and cloudpebble are both on github, so might be a good starting point if it ever was attempted.

Deploying from github and a free-tier on Galaxy would get you almost as far with much less effort.

Trying to integrate with JSFiddle/Codepen/CodeSandbox would be an interesting challenge though. CodeSandbox has a node template, so that is prbably the best starting point. Looks like someone has already succeeded… Maybe continue that conversation is this thread

1 Like

Yes, I am have been doing it for a few years. It’s no different than android App Store except some few config details you need to be aware of.

Is it comparable to what Expo is doing for React Native? I love how easy it is to deploy apps with Expo CLI.

1 Like

Was not only talking about the publishing part but the coding part as well. As of today if I wanted to develop a react-native app with a meteor backend I’ll be a bit lost where to start. Lot of packages seem not to be maintained and react-native has evolved a lot. That’s why I really am hopeful and happy that a big refresh of documentation for all the main technos to be used with meteor (react-native, apollo, SSR…) will bring lot of newcomers as well and tempt people to use Meteor for lot of different cases

1 Like

This just reminds me of all the nice showcases and examples for several packages on *.meteor.com, until it was switched off by MDG. It was a real good way to see the packages in action before adding them to my own project.

There was meteorpad.com, which was a fine tool, but it was switched off in the year 2016 – about the same moment, when *.meteor.com was switched off.

See What happened to MeteorPad.com? for the reason behind this decision.

It would be really fine to see something similar in action again.

BTW, it would be great if Tiny would return *.meteor.com free hosting with some advertisement or anything. They are currently spending budgets on promoting meteor via ads but live Meteor web-sites would be better advertisements.

I need China :rofl:

1 Like

Does this wink mean that Meteor Accounts packages will get a 2FA feature? :wink:

4 Likes

Would love to see better support for managing multi-region deployments. We handle the hosting for a telecommunications app (sitting at ~$30K/year spend) that uses Meteor heavily & where availability is critical down to the second. We ended up having to roll a custom solution on top of MS Azure to facilitate the parallel deployments to each region.

We would probably be able to build something similar to wrap meteor deploy but the current per-region separation of the management interfaces is a pretty major blocker for us (not sure if this was done to save dev time or if there is some technical limitation here that lead to the split).

3 Likes

YES please?!? :star_struck: we really need autoscaling. We are, actually, looking to other hosting based solely on this issue! There is obviously a financial incentive, but also a environmental one: it makes no sense to run a maximum number of containers “just in case” - wastefull!
If you can fix this, you will keep our business! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’re in the Kindle store too. https://www.amazon.com/Boom-Learning-Cards/dp/B01M8M6OFF

1 Like