Meteor + Ionic4 Integration

I’d like to see what the community thinks about a potential tighter integration between Meteor/Ionic4.

One of the strong selling points of Meteor is the integration with Cordova however Cordova does come with its own set of issues and limitation. Furthermore, we’ve seen the raise of view specific mobile front-end technology such as react native/flutter.

One thought that came to my mind is the possibility of having tighter integration with Ionic4 as opposed to plain cordova or react native. Why ionic? I actually avoided using Ionic framework in the past because the framework was restricted to Angular. However last year they’ve refactored their components to be view agonistic using web-components and they’re creating wrappers for Angular, React and Vue. Modern meteor is front-end agonistic and also supports ARV (Angular, React and Vue) so I think there is a value of having tighter integration between Meteor/Ionic 4 as oppose to Cordova.

Imagine having one command that would create a PWA mobile app that has both front-end view layer (using Ionic 4) and backend (Meteor) and ready to deploy (using Ionic 4 Capacitor and Galaxy as the backend hosting platform), I think that could potentially be a huge selling point for Meteor and Galaxy.

Any thoughts or objections?

5 Likes

Im on the same boat: did not go with ionic because it was angular only, but very interested with ionic 4 now with capacitor

1 Like

I think React Native should be mentioned more and more in this forum. It’s the most popular framework for developing cross platform apps and it’s kinda sad cause there are 2-3 react-native-meteor wrappers abandoned for years and no one from the community is maintaining them.

I would be really impressed to see an official react-native-meteor package

4 Likes

I think the Meteor + Ionic tutorial is a great start (https://angular-meteor.com/tutorials/whatsapp2/ionic/setup) but it seems things have changed since the last version:

• Meteor supports Typescript from start
  • Ionic has moved to version 4 with lots of changes

I would love to see an update to this tutorial, for a start.

PS: I’m actually ok to use Angular below Ionic as that would leverage my current knowledge.

Anyone here using Meteor + Ionic 4 React ? I am running into problems importing SVG as described on this issue here.

Anyone figure this out?

Also Ionic 5 is an RC.

Would be great to collaborate on a Meteor tutorial for using Ionic, perhaps even create a Meteor mobile demo app?

1 Like

hi hex sprite did you solve the issue and how does it look with ionic5 ?

I gave up trying to get this working properly. Managed to get enough of the functionality I was wanting from antd-mobile.

Hi folks,
i was struggeling when creating a project in meteor and using ionic5 for responsive frontend. I even could’nt find a good starter on github. Now I was wondering if this combo is a good combo at all, because there must be a reason, that nobody/only a view use/s this stack. Can anybody help here? I think these two great frameworks should fit or not?

I think it is a great combo! however personally I ended up using React MUI which was a great decision, such a fantastic library.

I’m not sure about ionic 5 but I think it is worth trying for sure.

@alawi
thanks for your optimistic view.
I checked the atmosphere package
https://atmospherejs.com/runisland/ionic4
which has been updated to ionic 5, but there is still an issue
https://github.com/runisland/meteor-ionic4/issues/8

Maybe there is somebody who has the knowledge how to solve it? Should I/we start a new topic with meteor - ionic5 integration? Will this lead to a good starting point (public app-starter on github)?

@brianmulhall
You already worked on a Vue-Meteor-Integration and a Svelte-Meteor-Integration. Do you have an idea? Ionic5-Frontends should be usable on both setups too, as ionic5 is framework-agnostic, right?

Ok, I think I have to give up. Nobody, who I had been asking for was able to create a simple starter app with meteor and ionic 5 stack. Everybody (3 different developers) told me that the reason is the environment of meteor.

@alawi
So Ionic5 and meteor dont seem to be a great combo.

This is very disappointing. Because of the better build system of Ionic (with Capacitor) I have to say good bye to meteor. I have a meteor app up and running for 3 years now and I like the full-service stack meteor provides. But not being able to use the latest ionic/core version 5.x package in meteor for my next poc project makes me crazy.

@ricow this has nothing to do with Meteor.

Ionic5 is more of a full front-end framework, it comes with its own CLI and opinions on how to build and bundle. Meaning it will be challenging and even meaningless to integrate with Meteor, NextJS, CRA etc, it is full front-end stack and not a set of UI components.

But personally I would still use Meteor for the backend (with SimpleDDP), just like how I use it with CRA, I like the Meteor ecosystem. But you can use express, serverless, firebase, primsa or even RoR, PHP etc that is an architectural choice and depending on what you are comfortable with.

When I started this thread, I have not looked closely at Ionic. However as of now I think Material UI react + PWA is better option and that is the path I went with.