Meteor Scaling - Fusion Mode [Status: Beta]

@tomachi you know what’s the beautiful part? This is all currently possible. Fusion works amazingly well, and SSR with React Router v4 works very good too! You can now host your meteor app on a 10$ instance and handle a lot of traffic!

1 Like

@diaconutheodor You might be interested to know that there is currently some related internal Meteor decoupling work underway. Since the WebSocket connection used on the client side of a Meteor app is heavily tied to DDP, you can’t use Meteor’s WebSocket connection without also using the ddp-client package (which is fairly large). All of this is about to change:

This doesn’t bring in conditional WebSocket support (like Fusion), but it does provide a way to leverage Meteor’s WebSocket connection without having to depend on Meteor’s DDP related libraries. This should open up another wide range of possibilities for Meteor apps.

5 Likes

@hwillson
I believe that separating websocket from ddp is a natural idea, keeping things decoupled. But it won’t help us in anyway if we don’t need a websocket connection.

I also saw that there’s a lot going on in ddp-client, so after Meteor’s 1.6.1 release I will have to adapt the package as well to make it fit. And I hope that before we reach 1.7 you can add fusion as a package and automatically extend this behavior.

1 Like

@diaconutheodor Redis Vent opens it’s own socket connection right? would it be possible to leverage ClientStream once extracted? Just a thought…

Nope, Redis-Vent uses pure DDP.

1 Like

Yes, MDG had a hack week last week, so non-Meteor team members jumped in to help out on all sorts of things. Areas like DDP, server-render, Meteor’s testing infrastructure, client side bundle size reduction, and more received some really cool updates!

3 Likes

And you mention this only today, keeping the party to yourself, shame on you mister, shame on you :wink:

4 Likes

How does one know about and maybe participate in these hack weeks? A link to some info is enough. Don’t want to go offtopic again :wink:

1 Like

Haha - I didn’t want to step on MDG’s toes by talking about the hack week last week, as I wasn’t sure if they’d be blogging about it or not. News like that is much better coming from them, and I didn’t want to spoil anything.

It was an MDG internal hack week, that allowed members of the Apollo team to jump in and help out on Meteor. Participation was limited to MDG staff, but the good news is that every week is hack week for Meteor community members! :slight_smile: Just grab a pull-requests-encouraged issue or feature request and submit a PR anytime. We’re reviewing every submitted PR weekly, and most PR’s now get merged fairly quickly.

4 Likes

Submitted this as a feature to be added to the core. This shouldn’t live as a stand-alone package, as it is so essential (in my humble opinion)

4 Likes