Mongo 4 & Meteor 1.8

Hi,

I upgraded meteor version to 1.8 on my app.
I had an error on DB then i did reset DB. Wrong idea but anyway…

Now i’m trying to dump the new DB with mongodump command and i can see that meteor mongo version is 4 and my version on server is 3.6. I can’t upgrade to 4 on server. So i can’t do a dump via mongodump. Is there a way to achieve this? Maybe a way to downgrade meteor mongo version to 3.6? An other solution to enable mongodump?

Thx!

You might find this interesting

I finally upgraded mongo on my computer.
I can use mongodump again now.
I was wrong to upgrade then reset without having dump … it was silly.
i will know for the next time.

Thank’s for your answer!

@fredhasselot - how did you upgrade mongo? I’m on Meteor 1.7.0.5 with Mongo v3.6.4 and once I upgrade to 1.8 I get the Mongo exit code 62. I’ve tried to search how to upgrade Mongo but can’t seem to find something reliable enough to try with Meteor.

I’m working on ubuntu OS. I upgraded via the update manager but i could via apt-update.
It depend on your OS.

The problem is similar to this one: Updating to 1.7.1: Unexpected mongo exit code 62. Restarting

In my case the solution was:

1. to do a “mongodump” BEFORE upgrade (but i did not)
  2. then upgrade meteor,
  3. type “meteor reset” in case of exit 62 error (empty the database)
  4. upgrade mongo on the system to version 4 if needed (like i needed) because meteor 1.8 use mongo 4 so if you wanna use dump commands from your system later, it’s necessary.
  5. finally “mongorestore” the dump.

in my case like i wrote.

I don’t know if there is a way to specify version of mongo to use on meteor to have the same version on meteor and the system running it. It would be a solution, i guess.

Gotcha. I’m on a Mac OS so it’s step #4 in your bullets above that I need to do. I’m getting the same error (62) and need to upgrade mongo itself. I don’t have the mongodump capabilities and I’m hoping to not need to reset meteor altogether.

How did you go? Any tips… I remember spending far too long getting the mongo upgrade to 1.7 to work. Don’t really want to go through it again…

This command:

~/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/1.8.0/mt-os.osx.x86_64/dev_bundle/mongodb/bin/mongod --dbpath my-app/.meteor/local/db --repair

Has not worked…

I’ll give it a bit of time and if I get it to work, will post here, if not, I’ll just roll back and wait for a solution until I have a bit more time to spare for this

Righto, to help anyone else stuck in this situation (assuming you have upgraded already).

Steps:

1. In a terminal, run the following command: Note that the ‘1.7.0_5’ may be different in your case. That is what it should be if you were on the latest version of 1.7 when you upgraded to 1.8
~/.meteor/packages/meteor-tool/1.7.0_5/mt-os.osx.x86_64/dev_bundle/mongodb/bin/mongod --dbpath path-to-your-app/.meteor/local/db`
  1. In a different terminal, run the following two commands:
    A -To start the mongo shell
mongo --port 27017

B - Once the shell is started, to get mongo ready/upgradable or whatever the case is (I’m not actually sure what is going on under the hood here)

db.adminCommand( { setFeatureCompatibilityVersion: "3.6" } )

That should do it. Close both terminals and run meteor 1.8…