MongoDB Version Clarification

When I run “meteor mongo” it connects to MongoDB Shell Version 2.6.7 (since I’ve upgraded to Meteor 1.0.4.2) - is this mean to be the MongoDB version, or the version of the shell?

And if it is the shell’s version rather than the database itself, how do I check the “local” mongodb bundled with Meteor’s exact version? I know from the update blog that by default Meteor now supports 2.6, but I ask because I upgraded a pre-1.0.4.2 project to 1.0.4.2 and wanted to see if the mongodb was automatically updated on my development environment.

db.version() on the shell will give you that information.

1 Like

Ah, and so it is - 2.6.7.

And a follow-up question would be is oplog enabled in the bundled mongodb?

Yes, the bundled mongo is oplog enabled.

It is good for development, but I’d strongly suggest a dedicated mongo setup or a PaaS for production deployments.

1 Like

Oh, yes, I deploy to my own server and have a dedicated MongoDB instance - which I’ll probably be switching to something like Compose.io - but I just needed to know for clarification’s sake around the development environment.

Thank you, sir!

I see in patch notes for 1.4 ‘mongo 3.0 is supported’. But it’s all what is there.
So i have a question: if i planning to use 3.0 database - it’s will work fine? I just make db settings and that’s all? Or i should make some magic to force it work?

I’m using AWS and Meteor-up for my deployments to development (my app hasn’t gone into production). I just point my setup settings file at the server and it deploys – it’s very simple. I think it’s just deploying the dundled version.

Why is it strongly suggested to have a dedicated mongo setup?

How would I go about creating a dedicated setup on AWS?

bundled mongo is a single instance replica set and mongodb production setup requires at least 3 instances master+slave+arbiter and it is recommended that all of them run on separate servers. you also need to manage backup/restore and practice scenarios when one goes down.

aws has some pre-made images for all this but if you are not experienced with such tasks your best option would be to use a paas solution loke compose.io