New MDG project: The Meteor Guide

Yeah I’m about to start writing the app structure article now, and I think I’ll go for an approach that tackles simple apps at the top, and gets more and more modular towards the bottom. Probably with refactoring steps in between.

5 Likes

Well, it’s mainly how ES6 modules define a way to state your dependencies and http2 makes it possible to group requests to a server. These are both useful for lazy loading.

1 Like

Great idea!

The original documentation does need a more in-depth look on all the sections. I’ll do my best to help!

Meteor is quite new (for a framework) and I would like to see a comprehensive guide on how essential things are done. From top to bottom. Right now, my workflow goes like this: I get the basics from the Meteor docs, but I have to look for blog posts and other resources to get a better, more in-depth look. If you develop your guide around the idea of helping intermediate developers, that would be great.

For example, the Rails guide teaches you how to do everything - from the most basic stuff down to very advanced actions.

There’s also a dire need for good examples:

How do I create a good model? Should I use SimpleSchema? What are collection hooks?
I am doing my senior project with Meteor and the best way I can find out how to structure my models/controllers/views/schema is by looking at other successful projects (like Wekan).

These are my two cents. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

in case you need yet another proposal of a meteor project (not package-only) structure

Please post this on github!

And here’s mine:

Just a new users perspective here.

Experiments in Meteor

In terms of quality of content, material depth for each topic and style the site I linked above is far above and beyond anything else I’ve found. This includes the official meteor tutorials.

If you’re looking for something to aim towards that will appeal to new meteor users, that’ would be it.

Surprised it wasn’t in the OP’s list.

2 Likes

We now have a Waffle.io board that will let you track the state of each guide article! Check it out here: https://waffle.io/meteor/guide?label=article

We are working on a plan that will include certain stages where we will be asking for detailed feedback from you guys, I’ll keep you posted. The next one will probably be when we create proposed outlines for each article, before we start actually writing content.

1 Like

Full-Stack Testing should really really be included…

Continuing the discussion from Testing for Newbies - current state: what frameworks - what tutorials?:

Yeah if the current outline doesn’t meet your needs the best thing is to submit a pull request. Is there something in particular that full stack testing means to you?

@joshowens had a great question - what’s the best way to contribute to the guide? I’ve written up an explanation of our plan, and some ideas about what kinds of contributions we are looking for during each stage of the process. Check it out: https://github.com/meteor/guide/issues/2#issuecomment-151354009

Is @arunoda’s bulletproofmeteor.com open source? (Or something similar?)

While this learning system follows a progressive disclosure dynamic, the experience of learning with it is quite neat. Also the various micro-repos to clone and play-test are great; and the fact that I can reach out to someone who’s learning with me the same topic - also very cool.

How would this Meteor Guide facilitate different learning paths? E.g.: total beginner programmer vs. experienced with other techs

I would like to see a chapter about Offline Apps in the Guide. Currently i suppose there isn’t an official way but it can be done with the GroundDB package. Maybe explaining the usage with mobile apps is appreciated too.
Is there a proper way of requesting a chapter or a chapter subject deepening?

Thanks

1 Like

+1 Great, that’s exactly what I was looking for when I started with Meteor!

+1 for this. But I don’t envy you. I was trying the same being the MD of a software company, and I know how hard it is even in this position :smile:

This cookbook sounds looks very interesting and I have to admit that I never heard of it before. Maybe you should promote it a bit more?

File an issue please!

There’s a long backstory there. It actually has been promoted, particularly on the East Coast, which is why it’s at 1500 stars, and is the largest resource of its kind. It’s arguably been an influence on the Meteor Chef, Meteor Kitchen, and and the Meteor Cookbook from Packt, which are all trying to take the general concept and extend it.

But there’s a few things that’s held the github version back over the years… a) it’s not dogfooding the Meteor platform as its app layer, b) it was compiled in New York instead of San Francisco, so there’s a bit of not-invented-here syndrome going on from the SF crowd, and c) it was compiled by a woman, and apparently that’s an issue for some people.

Going forward, I’m actually integrating it into the Clinical Meteor project. I’m trying to publish the recipes as packages, which will mean I can actually take those things out, which means less overall maintenance, and a tighter focus on building apps for the healthcare industry. Plus, I want to leverage the 1500 stars towards Clinical Release. It will probably all wind up as the GitHub repo that clinical.meteor.com directs to.

Meteor Cookbook is dead. Long live the Cookbook. :slight_smile:

1 Like

b) it was compiled in New York instead of San Francisco, so there’s a bit of not-invented-here syndrome going on from the SF crowd, and

This sounds weird.

c) it was compiled by a woman, and apparently that’s an issue for some people.

Tell me you are kidding!

2 Likes

Wish I were. Quite a bit of back-channel micro-aggression. One of the main reasons I’m pivoting the Cookbook project back into the healthcare sector.

But whatever. This isn’t the time or place to have that discussion.

2 Likes