Orion CMS - Powerful and flexible admin panel for meteor

Adding prefixes to collections is a good idea for security and housekeeping?
e.g. securexyz_documents instead of documents

On HackerNews, I just came across Bucket CMS which is unheard of
https://assembly.com/buckets

Meteor needs frontend theme and that is not the scope of Orion CMS. You can start the frontend theme project and we will rally around you. Orion is wonderful for admin stuff, IMHO it is the best Meteor has to offer for now,super flexible and never gets in your way.

Well, thatā€™s perfectly understandable if Orion is positioned as a developer oriented cms.

I assumed it was designer oriented and it is what I based my comments on. If I was wrong, thatā€™s my bad. Sorry.

If by summer no good frontend theme for meteor I may start one. Another reason admin should be decoupled from front is load time. Ainā€™t nobody got time for that! Sooner or later we will figure out a way to load admin for only login in users or in the background.

1 Like

@serkandurusoy Can you do me a really tiny bitty kind of favor and paraphrase your first post that you speak as a designer and non- developer. We donā€™t want to scare off core developers/contributors to this cool CMS. One of them might grant your wish and extend it to frontend.

Yep, sure.

It would be great if there were:

• this demo site that is built with orion cms, that contains more or less the most common types of pages/widgets that one may seek on a web site, and does not look like a stock bootstrap site.

• a document/blog post/tutorial that goes through the steps to create that site with orion cms

So that designers who are less adept in programming (no more than html, css, jquery) donā€™t find it scary to dive in with orion cms.

Basically, Iā€™m not suggesting a direct improvement on orion cms, Iā€™m rather championing for improved documentation.

Disclaimer: I myself am a developer and I do work very closely with two designers. I (we) have been evaluating alternative cmsā€™ with which we can deliver web site design/development work faster than custom coding and more elegant that what we get with wordpress. So Iā€™ve actually been essentialy relaying their thoughts. Although two opinions do not constitute statistics, those comments might be worth something.

Orion is bleeding edge infact you can almost say the same for meteor and it takes time out of the project for core maintainer to put together an exhaustive demo. And I found Orion has the best documentation compared to all the others and is based off autoform which has good documentation too. Also look at the readme file of the various Orionjs related packages. Hand holding will come but for now - if your team wants the best - they should take a second look at Orionjs and submit issues if they need help. I or any other users will do our best to answer those questions. See you at Orion

I honestly do want our web site development efforts be based on meteor just like we did convert for application development. Orion does look very promising from my point of view and so wish that designers share the sentiment.

And thanks @timfam for the encouragement. It is really good to know that you and others are out there to cover our backs when we need the help.

Am using Orion CMS for one new project for a customer and it works like a charm. @nicolaslopezj has always quickly replied to my questions and he is implementing 2 of my requests : multilingual and relationships.

Am looking forward and thanking him for the great works he produce!

Cheers!

Can it be as powerful as wordpress or drupal. Then I can get rid of php completely.

1 Like

Nope, the theme part will still need some polishing. If you know the X and Avada theme for Wordpress make Wordpress so appealing for web agencies for quick development so available UI components.

@nikhildaga, now we havenā€™t themes, but with orion you can use the full power of meteor, you can use all the packages from atmosphere

Well gosh, that sure is a neat project! Had I known of it inlay have started from there, but instead I built out the app from scratch with some key packages. Nice work!

I thought there was security concerns with allow/deny. That the best practice was to use Meteor Methods for security. Orion uses allow/deny with roles. Am I wrong?

There are no security concerns with Orion.
Orion uses nicolaslopezj:roles, you can check http://orionjs.org/docs/roles for more information.

If you have any doubts ask on http://forums.orionjs.org

I would seriously like a step by step tutorial to take Orion from repo to basic site with a few pages. Can you make a video tutorial to do something simple like this?

1 Like

I know this thread is getting a little old, but here is an example of how Orion can be used to build a simple site that features a blog and an events module.

This client wanted simplicity and Orion allowed me to give him that.

I plan to add a suite of SEO tools such as Sitemaps, Robots.txt , Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager to extend Orion a little futher.

www.youngwarriorscorpsacademy.org

@nicolaslopezj
Just been to http://orion-example.meteor.com/ and itā€™s definitely NSFW.
The last thing Iā€™d want to do is to introduce my female colleagues and boss to orion in this graphical way.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that. As a core contributor to Orion, and sending my own personal clients to the example site This is not acceptable and will be addressed ASAP.

I apologize that you had to see that content. We Will Introduce Security over the example site to prohibit this behavior.

2 Likes

This site seems to be made in PHP not meteor