📡 TRANSMISSION #21: Help pick topics

It’s time to plan TRANSMISSION show #21!

I will be talking with MDG team members about whatever the most interesting topics have been for the last month or so, and I’d like to get your help with that.

Reply here and let us know which recent topics are the most important to you!

Update

On Episode #20 we talked about Meteor 1.5, Kadira/APM, Meteor Client Bundler (again), and Reval.

About TRANSMISSION

TRANSMISSION is a monthly show covering the most important topics to come out of the Meteor Forums. Each month we need your help to pick the most relevant forum posts for us to discuss with MDG.

Podcast Site: https://transmission.simplecast.fm/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTUf4ytkmI8Q7cbf4J6aQEYun5g8fxt9B

A lot of the podcasts have been about engineering, and I’ve enjoyed them a lot. I would love to hear more about how its going in terms of growth and business. After seeing what happened to RethinkDB and many other start-ups, it would be great to have assurances that Meteor will be here for the long term.

11 Likes

RESTful API? This seems like a common web tool/feature/requirement for the web that’s not their in Meteor. This feature is also often sometimes required in an enterprise setting.

1 Like

With Meteor 1.5.1 and Meteor 1.6 well on their way it would be nice to have an overview of what is coming in those releases for those uninitiated.

Also at the beginning of the year there was a mention that there would be push to advertise Meteor more and for more community meetups. How is that going? It might be because I don’t live in the states anymore, but I haven’t seen much in this regard.

6 Likes

Now that we’re a huge step closer to SSR (technically already there) some discussion around the possibilities it opens up should be in order. I think this really has not sunk in with a lot of people (who still think SSR is hard on Meteor).

Also, I’ve conincidentally been having unrelated discussions with unrelated people about how nice Meteor is as a build tool for even a server-only (rest) api app, so I guess this, too, should be emphasized.

11 Likes

What’s the current thinking around the future of tight Apollo integration into Meteor? Are we going to see that, or is Meteor now considered as just another standard JavaScript consumer?

6 Likes

So this is a very interesting comment. This is actually what we’ve transitioned to. From standard Meteor web-apps we’ve now moved on to using Meteor as a tool to make (GraphQL) api that can communicate with a (meteor) web-app, a native mobile app and an Electron desktop app. All 3 variants have different client-ui/x but share the same api.

It would be very interesting to see what others have to say on this pattern and if it is the way Meteor is headed.

2 Likes

I’ve been getting a lot of Meteor ads through AdSense lately, so that’s something :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Another concern that my clients share is the longevity of stuff built with Meteor. I tend to agree with their concerns sometimes.

What is MDG’s policy for long term support? Is the Meteor release system going to mature to an odd-even system where every even release is a long-term release?

Also - what’s in the works in Meteor 2.0? What’s the next big thing?

1 Like

AFAIK it is Node 8 slated for Meteor 1.6 to be released soonish.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! As may be obvious, we had a few problems getting this one scheduled. :slightly_smiling_face:

But now we’re doing it… tomorrow! :tada:

Great suggestions here, and if there’s anything else last-minute please do add it (don’t worry I’ll definitely be asking about Meteor 1.6!)

6 Likes

how about meter client bundler again? :smiley:

A search of iTunes podcasts for Transmission shows episodes #1 - #20, but does not show #21. I do see #21 on YouTube. Have all the normal things been done yet to push #21 to iTunes?

1 Like

Another awesome Transmission @pauldowman @sashko - and great job @abernix! Hey, let’s add a new regular segment to the show, “Jesse’s Jammin’ Meteor Moment” (naming could change :slightly_smiling_face:), to give a quick overview of what’s new with Meteor since the last show, and what’s coming. There’s quite a bit of Meteor progress made in-between shows - it would be great to hear about that progress on a regular basis! Regardless, thanks for putting these shows together guys!

6 Likes

Sorry @vikr00001 you’re right, I forgot to publish the audio-only podcast version! I have just done that.

The YouTube version is here: https://youtu.be/2wlOmWI2s_0

And the audio podcast version is here: https://transmission.simplecast.fm/ (You can subscribe with your favourite podcast app).

Great. I’m looking forward to hearing it!

Sounds like I need to dust off the guitar.

In seriousness though: thanks! I hope it’s helpful to all! (And hopefully I’ll become as comfortable doing it as @sashko did!)

4 Likes