Settings on Galaxy - THANK YOU

OMG, I can’t even express how amazing wonderful awesome it is to be able to change METEOR_SETTINGS on Galaxy without a redeploy. Galaxy is like 1000x more usable and functional and ready for primetime now.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

19 Likes

This is what you call a high-impact feature!

7 Likes

For dev-ops and adjusting things from the field and emergency response, absolutely. Absolute game changer.

And super huge for A/B testing, sales demos, trade shows and making those critical presentations. When you’ve traveled 1000 miles and are in a hotel, but need to update the title of the website from your laptop and a cellphone connection? AMAZING.

How about load balancing and surviving a slashdotting? Or seamlessly upgrading external service hook URLs?

I just can’t even describe how awesome it is to know this is available now. I can ditch soooo many workarounds and go after so many new opportunities. This is absolutely fantastic. It absolutely impacts all of our business strategy in the most awesome way possible.

It’s like we have a real devops process now. <3

7 Likes

Anyone know how this is done? Galaxy is still cost-prohibitive for my use case, and I’d LOVE to be able to do the same for my apps running on DigitalOcean.

Thence @awatson1978’s comparison: “like we have a real devops process now”. You will need to implement a custom solution, based on PM2 or other service runner, in which the settings are first changed, then each Meteor worker is restarted - not all at once - with the users seamlessly passed from one worker to another thanks to sticky sessions. Said sticky sessions will have already been set up in the reverse proxy, otherwise there’s no proper support for multiple meteor workers.

Not a huge deal, if you have the time, the team, and/or the budget to put in, otherwise this is exactly what Galaxy is there for.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

I’m spending ~$200/mo on DO; Galaxy would be a min. of $1400/mo, so it’s still not the budget-friendly option.

2 Likes