Some Exciting Meteor News

Incredibly excited to hear this news.

I started my full stack JS career with Meteor. The ease of use made it so much more accessible for me than anything else. Without it, I would have had to learn so many other things before I could just build an application.

Now, later in my career I’ve picked up those skills, but I still love Meteor for how easy it makes development and I would definitely still pick it. I’m a Galaxy customer for a number of different applications, and have been very happy with the service.

I’m really excited to see some life kicked back in to Meteor. With the right decisions, it could so easily rise up to the top tier of JS frameworks.

6 Likes

Does anyone remember the heady days leading up to 1.0 - and especially the massive release “party” around the world?

I for one would love to see that sort of marketing commitment again, @awilkinson!

18 Likes

What a beautiful day

4 Likes

It will go a long way i think in terms of perception having clear communication about the future. People using this platform can have the piece of mind knowing that their commitment wont need to be migrated in the coming years. As people continue using the platform, or start using it for the first time I think you’ll see innovation (new packages that solve new problems) and blog posts start reappearing online and older packages being updated by the community that is in place will help re-enforce the idea that meteor is a viable choice for any project. That type of positive feedback loop is possible now :slight_smile:

7 Likes

can you share these recommended improvements?

I treasure my Meteor shirts and bottle opener keychain I got from a hackathon a while back!

4 Likes

I came at this from the other side, as a veteran who had built many (often over engineered) small and medium sites/apps. I love Meteor because as I remarked early on in one project, it took away the need to constantly fight the build system and scaffolding and accounting, and let me spend most of my time making decisions and solving problems in my own business problem domain.

Even though I enjoy working on and sharing lower level tools around the edges of Meteor’s current capabilities, the enhancement of decision making efficiency is Meteor’s biggest selling point. As developers (engineers, programmers and designers), our creative decisions are our most valuable asset. We have a limited number of good decisions each day, and the more the tools we use eliminate the decisions we have to make, the better we can make the important ones. This is absolutely vital to small and new teams.

23 Likes

I would imagine one of them is 2FA

5 Likes

Please send to hello@meteor.com! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Apollo won’t fly. MDG made a wrong decision

1 Like

Really stoked to see this @awilkinson!

We’ve been using Meteor since 2014 for https://www.buzzy.buzz hosted on Galaxy. We could not have done what we’ve done with such a small team without Meteor.

We’ve been white labelling customer deployments on Galaxy as well as on their own environments.

I have got to say that we’ve felt a bit abandoned of late, so this is great news.

It would be good to hear about roadmap or even plan to develop/refresh the roadmap and how we can participate.

Looking forward to Meteor.Next!

3 Likes

Aha! I’m not the only one thinking that… :smiley:

Meteor :rocket:!

1 Like

Been in discussions with Tiny weeks prior to this announcement. They are very committed to Meteor and its evolution. The community stands with you Tiny, we want Meteor to succeed as much as you do.

Long live Meteor & Apollo!

17 Likes

Really excited to hear this great news, I have long been looking forward to the future of Meteor, It is arguably the best framework out there.

3 Likes

Congratz Tiny and thank you MDG for all the hard work. You’ve built amazing technology with Meteor (and Apollo too).

Its fresh, but are there any plans about 1.8.2 and 1.9 already? @awilkinson

Thank you and wish Tiny and the whole community good luck!

2 Likes

Great news!
Let’s do this!
:smiley:

Hello there,
Good news for the Meteor community, we have been building our product with Meteor for the past 3 years, we love the solution and we are Galaxy customers. I definitely wish for a bright future ahead as I can’t see any other framework that would allow such a great productivity.
All the the best,
Pierre

1 Like

Awesome deal!! Kudos to the meteor community, especially those who run meteor apps, make packages, and continue to contribute your time and energy keeping the goodness of Meteor flowing. A big thanks to MDG, @benjamn, and @sashko who have pushed to make Meteor progressive and innovative! These tweets of Meteor emotion was touching as well.

https://twitter.com/benjamn/status/1179442087898562565

https://twitter.com/abernix/status/1179448252388773888

https://twitter.com/imslavko/status/1179478292929204224

https://twitter.com/jbaxleyiii/status/1179524597860974592

Meteor is illustrious and personified.

Let’s get it! To the top!

9 Likes

That’s exciting news! Is there anything you can tell us yet about the nature of the discussions?

1 Like

Yes indeed, this was a curious bit to read and I’m also very curious what was behind it.