Some Exciting Meteor News

Looking forward to seeing how high Meteor can fly. I’ve been out of the community for a while, trying different frameworks for my work-I got a little bit lost. But after this big news I’m back :grinning:

4 Likes

@massimosgrelli, while you were trying different frameworks, what did you miss about Meteor, and what features did other frameworks offer that you wish Meteor had?

1 Like

I missed Meteor simplicity. Building projects using Node/Express/Mongoose/Mongo was painful and I needed much more time to get things done. But I wasn’t sure if Meteor could survive so I needed to find an alternative.

I loved these things improved in Meteor:

• I would like to have an easy way to reuse methods through REST APIs
  • I’d love to have a package to use DDP directly from a native iOS and Android app
  • get an vscode package that works well for auto-completion
  • having mysql (with ddp) as a second option in Meteor
1 Like

Have you tried simple:rest? Seems to be the most popular. Although personally I create my own WebApp.connectHandlers.use(..) endpoints so I can have complete control.

1 Like

I think SimpleDDP can help with that.

1 Like

Amazing news! This new stewardship and commitment will mean the worlds to countless developers and companies who have made Meteor core source of their livelihood and hopefully attract new ones into a handsome host of under-represented developer productivity awesomeness. Well done!

3 Likes

Thanks for Exciting News.
How about Meteor happening for Next?
We should find the Alternative of Meteor OR NOT?
:blush:

Very exciting! It is really cool to see a lot of the long-time community members and MDG/Apollo staff posting here. Finally we can start talking and reading about the growth of Meteor instead of the opposite. Personally, I’ve tried quite a bit of server-less architecture and other frameworks and languages, but Meteor and React is still my favorite way to build a web app.

7 Likes

I think Tiny is huge! Very excited :partying_face:

2 Likes

I had the AHA-moment when I realised how easily I can use a RESTful API frameworks with meteor!

Express for example!

4 Likes

I felt in love with Meteor in the first hour.
So, l am not surprised.
I even thought that an event like this would take place before … It’s the normal course of events …

1 Like

This is such a great news and I think it comes in the right moment. This gives our team confidence to plan for the next years, where one of our projects is completely built on Meteor.

It’s amazing how we takled our architectural complexity with such a clearness and how we got reliable working results fast.

We are now even clearer to continue our journey with Meteor. Thank you all, MDG and the community and now Tiny for making this happen.

I have one favor, please don’t drop Blaze. Please find some solution to keep Blaze a first class citizen in the Meteor ecosystem

8 Likes

Like many Meteor packages this one have maintenance problems. The solution is to keep core needs like this maintained directly by Meteor and add it to the core packages.

2 Likes

Great, to secure the continuation of this very special full stack.

Looking forward, my biggest wish would be: Make a careful analysis which features are fundamental to a solid fullstack framework. And then build well maintained core packages for these, instead of relying on the community to do so.

Some samples that immediately come to my mind:

• i18n
  • styling
  • support for REST and GraphQL
  • mobile integration
  • accounts (incl. reliable UIs and social networks)

You may have other priorities than me, but it’s important to know what the core stands for and which features you can rely on in the future.

6 Likes

A lot of folks care about Meteor and use it in a variety of ways so naturally the request list is diverse and large.

But I think a lot of us would be happy with the minimum assurance of the longevity and maintance of the core platform/packages. Many of us are happily using Meteor today but the lack of communication from the MDG leadership team and their unclear commitment to Meteor (and now we know why) has been a constant source of FUD in the community.

So little community engagement and leadership will do wonders I think.

11 Likes

@sacha Wrote an article in response to this: https://medium.com/@sachagreif/an-open-letter-to-the-new-owners-of-meteor-353d64780b20

7 Likes

Sacha could not be more wrong. He is publishing FUD at the worst possible time.

The Meteor classic stack has been the foundation of my business’s success. This means Blaze. This means DDP. This means Iron Router and even though we use MySQL instead of MongoDB, minimongo is a key enabling software component.

To me, it is Apollo and GraphQL that are solutions looking for a problem.

As I’ve posted previously, Meteor scalability issues are usually the result of someone not knowing how to use a feature properly or not having the engineering/computer science background to design a system to be able to manage computational complexity or scalability.

Many of my posts to this forum have been to debunk myths and share genuine tested scalability tips and best practices.

19 Likes

that is your opinion and a lot of people have a different experience with scaling and the usability of graphql and apollo.

I totally agree with @sasha and i don’t see that its FUD (this term is overused anyway). It’s a good analysis to the state and history of meteor and he is providing a clear strategy.

I don’t agree with your post that “Meteor scalability issues are usually the result of someone not knowing how to use a feature properly”. You also ditched meteor’s own data-layer for a custom solution, how should a beginner know that mongodb-oplog-tailing does not scale well without 3rd-party tools? There are solutions to most problems, but they scattered in a fragmented community and it needs a lot of evangelism to bring the community to embrace a solution. It’s also striking that the mysql-package you linked in your other post has been forked multiple times and none has an active community.

If you have solutions, i would try that meteor and the community understand and embrace them. Make Pull requests on meteor, advertise packages and get maintainers on your packages.

5 Likes

in terms of developing enterprise apps, dashboards, admin apps, there is nothing to replace the meteor

Next? It good for websites only

2 Likes