SpaceTalk – Who's up for building an open-source Slack, just like how Telescope is managed!?

I’m actually considering switching LibreBoard to Flow Router and Layout but for now I decided to stick with iron-router and blaze-components, mostly because @arunoda stated that these packages are not production-ready. I may with this combo in a separate branch if I have some time.

1 Like

Oh! I didn’t say they are not production ready. Of course we’ve some issues and but it’s working pretty well and there are no more major issues. We’re planning for 2.x release soon and basically, we remove some stuff and introduce more patterns when developing apps.

What is not production ready is flow-components and it’ll stay the same. It’ll be our toy project :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Has there been a conversation somewhere on Iron Router vs Flow Components and Flow Layout? I wonder what the pros and cons are of both, and if anyone has been using Flow Router extensively and has some feedback on it (who isn’t @arunoda :] )

2 Likes

Also love ‘Impact’ FWIW

:slight_smile:

who isn’t @arunoda :]

Have you seen this? Reactivity in the Router: Yes or No?

1 Like

I would love to join this project!

1 Like

I’m totally in. Matrix is a good idea, but implements WebRTC as opposed to syncing chat via Meteor pub/sub.

Chris

1 Like

Okay I’m calling it a win for SpaceTalk (http://www.boll.co/DixAJsg6bQ2Sb4Tqg) – pretty convincing too.

2 Likes

For naming I suggest

Ground Control

as in "Ground Control to Major Tom . . . Slack is about communication.

Mission Control

could be a good alternate. Slack is also where you manage your business/mission–if you are using it right. (I’m from Houston, home of NASA. Plus I’m good at naming things.)

1 Like

Interesting project… I’d like to help too!

Got a working version on the web?

Why create an open source version, why not create something that earns money!?

I would also love to be a part of this!!! (I have never contributed to any open source project, so I think it can be fun :wink: )

I would like to help. Where can we start collaborating on the roadmap?

I think the emphasis should be put on the desktop client and it’s integration with the OS.

I would be really interested to work on the desktop version (electron/meteor).

1 Like

@timbrandin I started MRC a couple weeks ago but haven’t had a ton of time to get everything going on it but it’s started. It was planned to be an IRC/Slack/HipChat type app and I was hoping with meteor and such it would be easy to put it on every screen (Cordova for native apps as well).

I’m interested in helping and if it would be similar to my current project we could merge or I could drop that to help with this. I preferred a more simplistic or minimal layout but , to be honest, it would be ideal if we made a choice in preferences to have a bubbly IM type feel or simple/condensed IRC feel as it’s all the same.

Demo: http://mrc.meteor.com
Github: http://github.com/alisalaah/meteor-mrc

my original idea was to copy everything IRC can do with the multi-rooms, admins (ircops) and so on but in a meteor way… was definitely looking at HipChat/Slack as well. What do you think?

2 Likes

@m0g if you could easily roll it out on every platform with apps on top of the meteor core would be nice, similar to Telegram (www.telegram.org) and how they have an app for every platform. My inspiration for starting MRC a couple weeks back was to have a branded chat solution that allowed for public chat server/rooms like IRC as well as private rooms and user controls.

@alicamarata sounds like a good starting point

Instead of SpaceTalk i would totally go for

Space

some reasons:
its simpler. shorter.
its totally inside of the meteor naming system
its the most used key during chatting… :wink:

i can also help you, but i think much more structurewise than developing.
The most important feature with chat apps is the alerting when someone is offline. that you do not miss the important stuff, but also are not bothered with useless emails all the time. Slack were the first one to get this right…