šŸš¦ TRANSMISSION #2: broadcasting the latest from Meteor Forums

yap. I agree. Not interested in that tweet issue.

Productive & well-thought-out ideas, plans and directions from @sashko is all that we want. To be honest I will be giving the talk my third listen few hours later

4 Likes

Most all of the Meteor website runs on meteor with the exception of the forums.

If there is such bad blood why didnā€™t MDG implement their own reactive forum using Meteor to showcase the technology instead of disqusā€¦ it being one of the showcase Ember apps?

In all seriousness, I wouldnā€™t mind a discussion on this: Why is the Meteor.install(1.3) api better than webpack in meteor?

The sole reason I turned to webpack was for 1st-class npm support, and secondarily modules support. Iā€™ve got hot reload and code splitting working, but theyā€™re not as critical. Now that Meteor 1.3 supports both the first two, Iā€™m tempted to drop webpack (just as Iā€™ve gotten comfortable with it!) and go back to Meteor build. The less tools and dependencies, the better, as far as Iā€™m concerned. Iā€™m wondering what others are thinking.

7 Likes

Agreed. Or maybe a mix of both. Either way, enjoyed the first one a lot. Lookinā€™ forward to #2 :+1:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any serious bad blood, and regardless I think itā€™s important to be able to separate feelings about people and their technology. Discourse works great, regardless of what Tom Dale says on Twitter.

Either way, this is off-topic, please start a new thread if you want to talk about Discourse.

Would love to see this discussed: How open source Meteor really is if pull requests are not getting in?

13 Likes

Exactly what Sashko said. Software is built with Ember, and there is nothing wrong with this. The same is true for Meteor, great things are built and none of the Tom Daleā€™s tweets stopped them from doing so. Since Dom Daleā€™s tweets were talking about the validity of the business, my comments were pointing out the Ember consultancy shop in a similar vein.

He rips into Meteor all the time. Honestly, I stopped paying attention to him long ago. There is already enough hatred and angst in the world, we donā€™t need to have framework holy wars to add to it.

3 Likes

I think that is called Crater Podcast :laughing:

3 Likes

Yea, his mic is not perfect but seriously, itā€™s not terrible. Itā€™s definitely not difficult to understand him.
Though Iā€™m sure itā€™ll help not so fluent speaking people understand him better.

For the 60+ minute thing. I have no problem with a 60+ min podcast, as long as you indicate where the new topic starts with markers so I can jump to a new topic should I get bored.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! @sashko want to pick your 2 topics then I will tally up and pick the next 2?

Really loved the first pod cast. Finally some content which is more relaxed with long term perspectives.

Since there was a request for feedback, just two minor points:

• Would just be great if @sashko could record the voice uncompressed, i.e.in parallel via memo on iPhone & send per mail to Ben, to put together before upload. The compressed skype audio is quite hard to understand at some pointā€¦ especially when itā€™s American English, listened by foreigners
  • Not sure if itā€™s a slang thing for the western part of the US, but you guys say the word like every few words which can be quite distracting while trying to focus on the audio

I actually found it pleasant that you two where for once more losely chatting instead of sticking and rumbling down the agenda. A great personal touch

7 Likes

Hey guys just got back from a short vacation (although couldnā€™t stay off the forums the whole time, should fix that next time!).

@benstr I think Iā€™m going to pick the topics about Reactive GraphQL and Meteor open source/pull requests. Hope those are exciting for you guys!

And of course Iā€™ll dig up a much better microphone :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Howdy all the awesome peeps who follow this thread. @sashko and I will be recording the show later todayā€¦ here are the topics we will be covering. I only picked 3 because I feel the Reactive GraphQL topic has some potential for a great convo. If you all want to see a 4th topic just reply!

4 Likes

Yes: Meteor Load-Times (Developer Experience)

• How high is that on the prio list and what efforts are done to get close to Webpacks dev experience?

(There is a thread; Iā€™ll dig it up)

2 Likes

We can cover that on the third topicā€¦ if you have another forum post, it would be great for added context on the subject.

Here you go. A plain search in the forums for ā€œload timesā€, ā€œbuild timesā€, ā€œdeveloper experienceā€ would bring up much more but below the most recent one.

Without to Spam, the reason why I chipped it in: I had a long discussion with a start up today if they would drop webpack and re-join meteor with 1.3 to simplify their stack. Than the discussion turned into a ā€œdoes it make sense instead to rather drop meteor completely because the developer experience (rebuild times) is still terribleā€. Two points of discussion for you two

• What is the effort to compete on webpacks / hot module replacement / live reload developer experience? How far is it on the agenda?
  • Since a substantial overhaul of the build system is quite a task: Is there any motivation (along meteors repo-split up into npm packages) to have meteor particularly serve other build tools (such as webpack) to make it easier to tune ones dev experience? Currently, having meteor and wepack work together is quite a hack (233 Replies).
6 Likes

2 hours later ā€¦ we recorded all 3 topics :sweat_smile: we tried

13 Likes

Canā€™t wait for it! Hope post production doesnā€™t take too long :smiley:

7 Likes

Audio of Episode 2.1 is out: Reactive GraphQL will make MeteorJS relevant to every Web Developer

Thanks for the patience everyone. Hoping to get the next 2 parts out quickly.

4 Likes