WOW! What a ā€œno-brainerā€! TY

1 Like

Show 2.2 is out, Is Meteor Really ā€œOpen-Sourceā€ :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Wahoo! Now I can stop spamming refresh on PocketCastā€¦

3 Likes

And hereā€™s the video!

5 Likes

Great work, I enjoyed the first 3 podcasts.

@benstr In the opening of the first one you suggested @arunoda was strategically linkbaiting/hooking by saying ā€œright now meteor is a mess, frankly itā€™s a really bad time to start a meteor projectā€. I disagree, and feel the impulse to protect. I donā€™t think he thought anything along these lines. There was a keyword: ā€œfranklyā€ (meaning in an open, honest, and direct manner) which you disregarded or didnā€™t believe.

But, objectively it is a difficult time to start a project, if only because thereā€™s a lot of confusion and uncertainty. Sure, if you close your eyes and ears and avoid all the noise, you can move ahead easily, but thereā€™s a lot of stress in picking the right technology. Blaze vs. React. And if you pick React thereā€™s still no clear way to manage state, you can use Meteorā€™s approach or Flux or Redux, or now Mantra.

All this causes people stress and confusion. This is clear to me. And I think itā€™s no blame or criticism on MDG. A lot of it is the reality of the JS ecosystem. Maybe arunoda could have pointed this out better, and heā€™s pretty busy, and I think heā€™s not a diplomat or politician! :smiley:

So, really donā€™t want to ignite another conversation about ā€œis meteor a mess?ā€ just want to set the record straight on what this possibly means.

7 Likes

Ha ha. Good analysis.
Yeah. Stop debating and letā€™s move on with the work we have to do.

6 Likes

I totally agree with you, @arunoda and I talked to the same affect after that show was released. My point was not to bang him, or to say ā€œI am betterā€, but I want to make authors aware that uneducated or less informed readers will be absorbing the information and they will take the words ā€œMeteor is a messā€ as literal as it sounds. That is something we all need to be aware when we release content. To understand how our words will come across differently to different people and make judgement calls on the words we choose to use.

To the pointā€¦ A dev like Arunoda or myself, whom work with Meteor everyday. If we hear ā€œMeteor is a messā€ we would agree and could list the reasons to back it up. Then we would turn around and start our next project withā€¦ Meteor :slightly_smiling:

To a dev not familiar with the reasons why we agree with that state, it looks like we are opponents to Meteor and thus they could take the statement literally and ignore Meteor as an option for their next project. When in fact Meteor would have been awesome for their project.

It is a sad truth, but we live in a world of generalization. We all need to be politically correct or at least clearer with our words.

BTW Arunoda for President :tada:

3 Likes

I can definitely attest to that, we started looking at Meteor seriously early December, and it has definitely been alarming to us. The Meteor veterans here would have been around for all of the ā€œwow Meteor is awesomeā€ type posts from the earlier days that balance all of this out, but to those of us arriving now things could look pretty bleak if you took everything thatā€™s been written recently at face value. Itā€™s kind of like that ā€œit takes a lifetime to build a reputationā€ quote.

Iā€™ve really tried to immerse myself in the world of Meteor for the last two months though and I can see itā€™s still an amazing thing and a great community, just one thatā€™s letting off a bit of steam at present. Just perhaps be wary of how that can look to the greater programming and non-programming (managers make decisions tooā€¦ shudderā€¦) community?

3 Likes

2.3 is live - Why no Webpack in Meteor 1.3?

So sorry for the delay this week. We experimented with partial releases and decided to go back to single podcasts per week since the feedback from you all told us to go back.

More info will be provided in the new Transmission forum post.

2 Likes

PS: Kudos to @benstr, @joshowens, @pauldowman, @sashko, @sacha, @tmeasday and others for all the hard work on the various podcasts - those have been absolutely invaluable to me from both a learning perspective, but also in getting another view on the true state of the community/ecosystem.

4 Likes

@tomRedox thank you so much for the encouragement! And I feel the same. So many in the Meteor community have helped me level up. Happy to be a part of such a great group!

4 Likes

Iā€™m loving these awesome podcasts! I appreciate hearing your viewpoints on the things going on in the Meteor community, and your willingness to tackle the hard questions. Keep up the great work! I eagerly await the next episode of Transmission!

4 Likes

Video for 2.3 is up!

Going to maybe try something new with the videos for episode 3 to make them more interesting compared to the audio!

4 Likes

Excellent idea and 5/5 on effort. Please make everyone use a script in the future and practice to make it seem real. The public speaking needs improvement and makes the content painful to follow.

Thanks so much for this podcast! Totally love it! :slightly_smiling:

@sashko have you guys checked out the webpack 2.0 beta? Theyā€™re somewhat aligning themselves more closely to longterm JavaScript.

1 Like

Sounds great, but unfortunately then I wouldnā€™t have any time to write any code. One idea we had is to go through afterwards and pick out highlights, for people that donā€™t have time to listen to our rambling.

2 Likes

Wow, I donā€™t agree with this at all - I find the conversation flow smooth, easy to follow and the pacing to be quite balanced. Keep in mind weā€™re tuning in to listen to Meteor devs discuss and answer the hot topics of this forum. I want to hear honest and heart felt discussions about these topics, not scripted and rehearsed answers. The more natural the better!

13 Likes

Yeah this is very exciting! Iā€™m sure @benjamn has got his ear to the ground on this stuff. Either way it wonā€™t make it into Meteor 1.3, but Iā€™m sure there is exciting stuff ahead.

2 Likes

Related to the Open Source discussion on this episode:

Dan Abramov just moved all of the rackt repos to the reactjs org, at Facebookā€™s urging. He explains his actions here ( https://github.com/reactjs/redux/issues/1392 ) and I think there are some parallels that could be drawn. The questions in that issue and Danā€™s clarifications are interesting too.

1 Like