Recently Polymer 1.0 was announced on Google IO.
Google’s headline is simple and straightforward:
"There is component for that"
- Web Components is frontend future.
- Polymer make sense. Blaze grow dim in comparison with Polymer. Especially with awesome officially supported by Google cross platform Material Design library of iron, platinum and paper elements.
- Firebase + Polymer seems more simple to use though closed source backend is not the thing.
I am not experienced web developer. I am try to implement my app using - Meteor-Polymer. Thinking to move to Asteroid backend. But to be honest I don’t have enough background to understand all consequences of such a decision. That is there I need community help.
It feels for me that there is no meteoric way of using nor Polymer nor Web components with Meteor. Issues that I care of (correct me if not the true):
- No support of MDG
- Compatibility issues: Body tag, non-reactive components code, templating, etc.
- Documentation: Almost everything from official Meteor docs just don’t work.
- Packages compatibility: Forget about packages depending on Blaze.
I know that recently Uri Goldshtein joined MDG. That make me think that native support of Web Components right on the way inasmuch as Angular 2 is all about Web Components.
That is there I need MDG help as right now I am between two business decisions:
- Move my product really fast with Firebase + Polymer. I don’t like this solution due to closed source nature, pricing, cropped db.
- Learn how to connect and support Polymer with Meteor. That is what I love but don’t sure that I will be able to do it.
I do believe that official Polymer support will boost Meteor adoption as it is (almost) ready to use ultimate UI solution. So any official comments regarding Web Components by @sashko or guys from MDG are highly appreciated.
It seem that topic is really hot. I will collect related topics here:
- Polymer + Meteor
- Dead loop with Polymer 1.0
- Polymer 1.0 test failed
- Using Meteor as a classic backend
- Polymer 1.0 and iron router or flow router
- Polymer 1.0 with Meteor pros and cons
- Polymer 1.0 icons not showing in Chrome, Blaze issue?
I’ve moved this topic to the “core” category.