What hosting services are you using for your Meteor App?

No man. DO is just place offers servers. It has nothing to do with sticky sessions.
That part is done by the load balancers and so on.

As @serkandurusoy mentioned, there is no auto scale features in digital ocean. But, it’s not that hard to achieve anyway.

Side Note: Even heroku does not have autoscaling yet. But modulus.io have

Sorry @almog I don’t have a tutorial but I’m hoping @awatson1978 can add that to her cookbook since I think I remember her telling about using elastic beanstalk for deployments. There Abigail, the ball is on your court now :smile:

1 Like

Hi, I have right now one project running on digital ocean! If you are interested, I have also made a quick tutorial on how to deploy Phussion Passenger + meteor.

About modulus. I’m hosting with them too. I had an issue deploying yesterday which I solved by updating the CLI tool with

sudo npm -g install modulus

There have been some configuration changes that don’t let older CLI deploys work.

Good luck!

We use GCE(Google compute engine) with Mongolab and Smartfile for CDN and follow all the Arunoda packages…cluster, mup, fast-render…that guy is freaky awesome!

4 Likes

@arunoda thanks, looking into this right now

@babrahams Yea I saw that, but he talks about using Meteor 0.8, does it now support Meteor 1.0?

@erichsu yea I tried that still can’t deploy. But there are more issues. I’m seeing AWS services issues every couple days now. Their support is great and their a great team but it doesn’t work with our time deference

@cottz yea @arunoda is amazing, I think he’s going to have “galaxy” developed before meteor team does

No way. That’s not on my list :slight_smile:
But, I love to build for monitoring stuff.
So, there’ll be cluster admin panel on Kadira may be before Galaxy.

4 Likes

Does anybody who’s worked with Modulus and Amazon (EC2 or Beanstalk) know the cost differences? Is one more expensive than the other?

1 servo on Modulus is ~$15/month. How do the others compare?

I have used Heroku successfully for Meteor production. However you can only run one instance of an app because it does not support sticky sessions.

Actually Heroku ends up being free as they give you one instance (dyno) free. A lot to love about Heroku.

One recommendation: use papertrail for log monitoring/archiving.

I’m currently using Modulus and Compose and it’s working out pretty nicely. I do have to say though that I’m thinking of moving to using DO or AWS paired with Cluster and switching to using MMS to manage mongo on AWS. Really it comes down to cost for me. Modulus is $15/month for one instance with 396M of ram where as DO is $5/month with 512M or ram… As for compose it’s $18/month/GB which is great at first but I’ve just breached into the over 2GB area and I can see that in a few months time that could become something I’ll be worrying about getting out of hand.

@copleykj modulus is having some major issues with deployments and their support is somewhat limited. I think it’s better to go with one of the bigger options. AWS seems like the right direction but DO also looks interesting

It took me a fair few goes to get it working but I am using Digital Ocean to host multiple apps currently in development. Although I did almost give up and was going to try modulus because it looked easier.

The thing that confused me was that I had been writing code directly on the DO server.
I couldn’t work out how to get MUP working, I was confused why it wanted to SSH.
Anyway it took me a while to realise that I should have been developing the app on my laptop and deploying to the server.

@almog I wrote a short tutorial on how to set up AWS Elastic Beanstalk with Meteor 1.0, feel free to check it out. The only ELB tutorial that existed up to that point was for a prior version (0.8?) that no longer worked.

2 Likes

Yep. I just deployed 1.0.3.1 to AWB Elastic Beanstalk a couple of weeks ago using that tutorial as a guideline. It’s important to read the comments in this gist.

Note: in @gdb 's tutorial, he downgrades the Meteor version of the app to fit with the node version supported by Elastic Beanstalk. I took the far less safe approach of changing the MIN_NODE_VERSION in one of the generated files in the app bundle, as I use features from 1.0.2 in my app. Although this approach seems fraught with peril, the app runs perfectly fine on Node version 0.10.31 (at least in my case). I’m fine with this as a temporary measure, as AWS will no doubt get with the program and support a newer version of node before too long.

I have my app on an Azure VM (Ubuntu) and couldn’t be happier. Setting it up was a breeze and it’s the only hosting that has given me 100% uptime (knock wood, haven’t been there for a year yet). Performance is top notch too.

Yeah, I’ve been hearing that Azure is pretty good these days. I’m planning on trying it out soon.

I’m using digitial ocean to host 3 productions apps, each on their own micro server $5/mo. I’ve used amazon before, but I find digital ocean much easier to work with. I would highly suggest checking out the Meteor Up (MUP) project to deploy. Once I figured out how to get it working to deploy the first app it’s makes deploying apps thereafter a very quick and simple process, just setup a small config file and deploy.