What is Meteor missing?

Is http://www.angular-meteor.com/ is developed and maintained by MDG? If this is the case - I believe it should be stopped. If it’s owned and developed by someone else - we can’t do anything :frowning:

@deligence1 actually, this website is maintained by @Urigo right above you. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Stopped and then what?

I believe that:

:slightly_smiling:

@Urigo - It’s a great plan. [quote=“Urigo, post:52, topic:19153”]
My goal is to create something like Socially for Angular 2.0 and React on Meteor.com, then I will be happy to move everything to the official Meteor website (including screencast for each chapter and everything I’ve done on Socially)
[/quote]

Aside from committing to adopting emerging JS ecosystem standards faster, I vote for code-splitting. Right now I believe meteor build creates a monolithic js bundle with everything. This makes no sense for large apps.

Hot code push also important, but this is more along the line of “developer experience”… and after all there’s webpack and another third party package that are tackling this problem.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for the update Urigo!

Thinking about this more, I think some kind of more structured, declarative security, i.e. Roles and ACL, is an important feature. Allow and deny rules don’t seem enough for real-world scenarios.

Parse has this built in, and also uses MongoDB. Parse is now open source, so maybe some of these security features could be adapted for Meteor?

https://parse.com/docs/js/guide#security

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Now that just feels like an unholy alliance. I’ll have to take a few swings at it!

It really is, MDG Meteor, Google Angular written in Microsoft Typescript and backed by Facebook’s Redux. Could never of imagined that five years ago.

Edit: And of course not to forget Oracle and Mozilla’s JavaScript!

2 Likes

If I had to name one thing about Meteor that has always been a pain in the ass for me, I’d say it’s that bloody awful Atmosphere.

I’m not sure if MDG guys are taking it into consideration, but for a casual candidate for a Meteor developer, Atmosphere is one of the first real Meteor webapps they ever see and usually the first they actually use. And the experience of using it is terrible.

It’s just soooo sloooow, both with access to data and with its shiny UI. And it leaves an impression of “what? Will my real life Meteor projects be so shitty too?”

What Meteor is missing is a complete rewrite of Atmosphere or redirecting people to Fastosphere if Atmosphere can’t be rewritten.

But Fastosphere may be gone too, with *.meteor.com going down soon.

6 Likes

You know, I don’t really use atmosphere much as I generally know what packages I need. I’ve found it to be a clunky experience so I just don’t bother, but until you said this, I never put thought into why I just don’t bother. You nailed it exactly.

2 Likes

In Meteor 1.3 npm packages will work out of the box. From there it’s only a few steps to having Meteor packages live on npm as well, so eventually there will be no more need for Atmosphere.

3 Likes

Except for build tools. Build plugins will probably always need a package to support them!

2 Likes

I want to hear a beep when meteor compiler finds an error and, therefore, doesn’t reload my page. As it is now I wait for a page refresh, sometimes it’s coming sometimes I wait too long to understand that I have to tab to the console window to check what error there is. Isn’t it a low hanging fruit for improving dev experience?

8 Likes

I am missing built-in support for:

• i18n that is reliable and also working on mobile devices (obviously, MDG is operating in the US only :wink: )
  • SCSS
  • DB schemas plus a model layer tightly linked to it
  • Routing with SSR + fine-grained component loading on demand (like in Webpack)
1 Like

Never thought of it, but it would be such a great thing to have!

1 Like

There are plenty of great community packages for these. Core doesn’t have to support every possible configuration. In fact, what they’re trying to do is get less and coffeescript out of core.

Two different issues here
The first is solved by flow router, and again, it doesn’t need to be core, the entire eco system is defined as meteor.
The second would be awesome!

You should make a request for that on github. If they approve it and are willing to accept a pull request, I will look into adding this.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement @lassombra and @brajt - I’ve opened the issue

3 Likes

Cool. If they want to accept a PR for this I’ll totally tackle it

1 Like