Windows Installation is a JOKE!

The only way I could get Meteor to work on Win 10 was to clone the github and app paths manually.

For anyone on Win 10, I highly recommend using the built in Ubuntu on Windows 10 subsystem. You get all the power of real Linux and all the cmds will work, and you can use all the Windows GUI tools with full interaction.

GREAT advice, thank you very much!

I checked in the directory where meteor is meant to me installed, i.e. users/appdata//.meteor, i think it is, as specified in the documentation. Yet, it does not exist, nor does Windows resolve any result having done a search for any of the proposed installation files. Four machines, all the same result. I keep trying new machines whenever I can get my hands on one. Same every time!

I’am actually glad you’ve returned. My first reaction was an emotional one in the same form as your first frustrated topic starter. In the end I decided not to react, because besides the non constructive part I would simply ask “how do you expect us to help you without any reproducible steps?”.

My point is that any developer gets frustrated at some point with any tool. The trick is to stay calm and reach put for its community. Give them some pointers like when, where and how. And my friend, you are at one of the best places, because Meteor’s community consists out of some great people that are eager to help you out!

On the Windows topic. On my laptop the windows installer gets stuck occasionally. And it usually turns out to be a permissions issue. My Steam installer has this aswell. It gets stuck because its not able to update certain folders in my AppData folder even though I’m an admin…

What works for me for both Meteor and Steam is to fix permissions during safe boot. If that doesn’t work, try installing it in safe mode. (Dunno if thats possible. Never tried that)

Maybe for MDG its a good idea to place some user feedback to the installer instructing the user that the install failed, even when the issue is unknown. Maybe even with an option to send a bug report with a stack trace to the community.

4 Likes

I’ve never run the installer as Administrator. On Windows 10, if elevated permissions are needed, you’ll be prompted.

As @coagmano says, login is optional. However, an inability to contact the server maybe points to some other issue here, perhaps Windows firewall, or a proxy server in the way?

I’m hoping you’ve deliberately shortened that :wink:! The directory will be of the form C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\.meteor

Another thing to check: you should have an entry in your PATH for that directory path. May be worth checking, as it will prevent the meteor executable from running if it’s missing.

I’ve installed Meteor without issue on Windows 7 and Windows 10. Also, on WLS, as @dirkgently has suggested. That may be worth trying if you continue to have problems, especially as theWindows build is currently restricted to 32bit (I believe this is likely to change).

3 Likes

Just to add - Meteor 1.6 is going to be a large leap forward for Windows users. Not only will 1.6 introduce full 64-bit Meteor support for Windows users, but it’s also bringing in a new Windows based installation process using https://chocolatey.org. The new installation process is MUCH better! :tada:

9 Likes

Anything chocolate related gets my vote.

9 Likes

Maybe worth backing up a bit…

Can you describe your steps “exactly”?

I assume you downloaded and ran the windows installer here: https://www.meteor.com/install.

Then what happened, exactly? Maybe a screenshot showing what you did and saw? For me the login procedure has worked since day one without any issues that I remember.

Note: some confusion can happen later when installing as admin. Can you try installing as a user? You may need admin permissions at some point, only enter when asked.

1 Like

This post is a JOKE.

2 Likes

I’m surprised it’s not been completely ignored tbh :joy:

1 Like

Hi, I copied the files during the setup procedure, which is as follows:

1. run the setup InstallMeteor.exe as administrator (latest downloadable version).
  2. skip registration as the accounts server cannot be reached.
  3. Meteor says its been installed. meteor setup message - installed
  4. Meteor not found on the computer (W10Pro) / commands not recognized.

Yes thanks. The Meteor login to accounts option has not worked on any computer in any environment. Meteor does not exist on the machine, nor any of the other three machines I have attempted to install Meteor. The process is consistent in my experience. I have never seen Meteor installed successfully even though Meteor says it has been installed.

Yeah, I am glad it works for you. wish I know what is wrong. I have maintained hundreds of computers and softwares and never seen false messages such as “Meteor is installed” when clearly it isn’t. Onto the fourth machine now, same problem!

Have you tried restarting your machine after installing? Sounds funny but I remember when I used to develop on Windows (dark, dark days) that I had to do a restart for it to be recognised properly.

Though this is going back a couple of years now.

1 Like

Thanks, yes, machine restarted also. There are no environment variables for meteor installed either, I have noticed. I will attempt a manual installation now with the Meteor alternative installation procedure that provides the zip archive. At least i can see that files exist and exactly what is needed is put in place per specification. Amazed!

Yes I shortened that. Sorry to not have specified so. I have observed the paths and i am familiar with how Windows manages files, local user files and it’s directories and so on. Worked with and built compliant setup programs a few times before. Meteor is not to be found on the machine anywhere.

Can you sign up/in here?: Meteor Cloud

It seems that the installer is not able to connect to meteor.com?

Below are some topics on similar / related issues. Let us know if any help…

After looking at these topics it seems that the new installer is sorely needed for some people. Guess I just lucked out.

Topics

2 Likes

I don’t know why OP is being flamed, the post title is aggressive but I agree with the problems posted and have faced all of them and posted about them before.

I’ve come to accept that no one really cares about Windows, most tools are targeted for Linux only. Which is why I suggested using the built in bash/Ubuntu in W10.

2 Likes

I think it was more the initial tone used, though I can understand his frustration.

Yes, I can sign in to the Meteor site. i reset my password just in case i was entering it incorrectly, yet it was the same password as always used. I atempted the setup once more to test the Login, yet the setup returns the same message:"cannot contact the accounts server"
Thank you for the tips and links, much appreciated. I have to say, I am just completely stunned at the situation with this setup. I have not yet made time to complete the manual setup. I will persist!

1 Like