Worth moving from sublime to atom?

I kind of like my current setup on sublime (and frankly, can hardly remember all the steps I did to get it here). I do think atom has some cool features, growing community and so on… is it worth taking a day to switch over or should I not bother? I do react and react-native development (and meteor).

1 Like

I love Atom and can only recommend it. The only negative feedback I have: Atom cannot handle large files, especially files where one line is very long, like in minified files. In this case, the whole GUI becomes unresponsive and you have to kill the process. So for viewing these files, I often fall back to Brackets or Sublime.

5 Likes

Visual Studio Code ftw.

14 Likes

Yeah I went:

Sublime -> atom for more features and extensions, better defaults
Atom -> vscode for better performance, and really great debugging and auto completion features

So far I am extremely happy with VS code, and it is getting better with every monthly release they do.

9 Likes

Yup. It’s the first Microsoft tool I’ve used since around 2009. It’s fantasitc.

4 Likes

I’m transitioning to atom now… I use vi and sublime text with vi bindings, so decent vi keymaps are a must (sorry webstorm), but I’ve been holding off because I really like sublime performance. It’s been a while since I’ve used vscode, might give it a try again. I don’t use typescript though, I guess completion @sashko mentioned regarding vscode is in relation to it and not javascript in general though, right?

I hate rebinding keys and relearning shortcuts every 2 years :cry:

Nope, that’s the best part! It does completion even in regular JavaScript to a surprising level. Just open a JS file, npm install lodash, and witness getting docs in your editor in plain JS.

1 Like

Keymaps

Please advice any plugins of VS that we need for Meteor.

Atom has been trying to improve large file performance in the latest stable release.

Nice, seems to have good options. I also used vsvim with visual studio back in the day when I did C++ development which worked ok. That with visual assist made a pretty nice development environment, great autocomplete, easy method/variable refactoring throughout your code which is what I missed the most when moving to webdev and javascript. Maybe I should give typescript with vscode a try :stuck_out_tongue:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=jmlv.MeteorSnippets

That’s the only Meteor specific extension I have installed.

I recently abandoned Atom and went back to Sublime - even though I really like Atom a lot.
But the memory footprint of Atom is just huge, it slowed down my system way too much for a code editor.

Reason is, Atom runs on Electron. Each Atom window is an Electron instance grabbing (at least) 1Gb memory. Have a couple of tabs and windows open and it fills up all your memory. It also leaks memory, so a restart once in a while does help to start with a low footprint again.

Now with Sublime I hardly reach 1Gb memory. My system stays responsive and I’m a more happy developer.

1 Like

I thought let’s give VS Code a chance. One of the first things I wanted to do was some simple file operations, like:

• duplicate a file
  • copy/paste or cut/paste a file between projects
  • drag/drop a file between projects

Believe me, I didn’t give up easily but it just wasn’t possible!! These are things I use many times a day.

Am I the only one or is this just not possible? I’m using macOS.

VSCode is cool but Webstorm from Jetbrains is a real MVP!

2 Likes

I do primarily Meteor, React, and React Native development. I also moved from Sublime to Atom to VSCode. I really like VSCode, especially for its incredible git integration and fairly exhaustive keyboard shortcuts (like opt+shift+up to duplicate a line or selected lines, and opt+up/down to move the line or selected lines up/down).

I find Atom really pretty, but I like the advantages of VSCode too much to switch back.

I use VSCode for nearly everything—living in it for at least 30 hours per week. I don’t open up Atom anymore, but I have found it necessary to keep Sublime around for opening really large files—e.g. >8MB .sql files—since VS Code doesn’t support large files yet, whereas Sublime handles them with no issue.

4 Likes

If you hold option while clicking and dragging a file in vscode’s file explorer sidebar thing, you can make a copy of it.

To my knowledge you can’t copy/paste or drag/drop between open projects via vscode… it’s something I have to do occasionally, so I usually just right-click a file in the destination directory in the target vscode project window and click Reveal in Finder, which opens a finder window, then I click and drag the respective source file from the source vscode window’s file explorer and drag it into the newly opened finder window, which copies the file. I then delete it if I didn’t want it in the original (effectively making it a cut and paste). Admittedly I only need to do that action once a week or so… if I had to do it hourly or something, I probably wouldn’t like it.

1 Like

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=dbaeumer.vscode-eslint

1 Like

Someone convince me of the usefulness of linters. Last time I tried one for VSCode it gave me errors for some rather dubious formatting stuff. Like: “superfluous newline”.

Linters can definitely be tricky to get used to, and figuring out what options you want/need can also be a mixed bag.

That being said, I’m in love with eslinting. Just off the top of my head, a few things it helps with:

1. Finding unused imports
  2. Helping clean up code (object shorthand, blank lines, etc, unused dangling params)
  3. Let vs Const usage
  4. Helping identify when using variables out of scope or reassigning out of scope
  5. Other best practices like not assigning values to function params

I’d suggest checking out the rules here: http://eslint.org/docs/rules/

1 Like