Arunoda: Leaving the Meteor Community

To be honest: if the only statement of MDG about a key player leaving Meteor is “perhaps people in the Blaze community would be interested”, I really start to get frightened. Wake up, MDG guys, it’s time that you take over responsibility for your product. Or discard it, in favor of Apollo or whatsoever. Leaving all key parts to the “Blaze community” is no option for me. Sorry for the rant, but I am feeling really sad about Arunoda’s post. How could I deliver my apps without mupx?!

6 Likes

Thanks Arunoda for everything you’ve given to the Meteor community. What frightens me most is that mupx won’t be developed further. So I suppose I will stick to Meteor 1.2 forever.

He left community at ~ May or even earlier, just not officially.
And personally, I like whats going on right now, with all these MDG transitions, and redis-oplog stuff.

4 Likes

I guess you should let somebody else do the system administration part of the job.

Deploying meteor really ain’t that hard. meteor build, and deploy as any other nodejs app.

Thank you for all your work

why not use pm2-meteor

1 Like

Thanks for all the hard work

Depending on Meteor’s direction and maturity, come back one day?

Or even pm2 and a load balancer with sticky sessions, like Tengine or HAProxy. Personally I’m glad MUP is coming to an end, as it has done more harm than good

3 Likes

Sticking to Meteor 1.2 is a necessity that cannot be blamed on mupx or this announcement.

Development on mupx (note the x), stopped a long time ago but it worked fine with Meteor 1.3. Furthermore, the transition to kadirahq/meteor-up (the successor to mupx) is really not all that difficult and with a small tweak (to the Docker image) works with Meteor 1.4.

With its relatively simple configuration and support for swappable Docker images (which I and others have provided) it will likely work well (for small projects) with no additional development for a very long time to come. I would highly recommend that migration if you haven’t already. I haven’t tried, but I believe you could even run Meteor 1.2 on it right out of the box (without the above mentioned tweak).

Even with continued development, it’s unlikely that meteor-up will or would have ever be ideal for larger deployments with a lot of traffic and you should invest in reliable architecture when the need arises. I still think it would serve you reasonably well though.

5 Likes

All of your contributions have been greatly appreciated and you’ve certainly enabled many to continue down this path and there will be great things to come (so long as everyone tries not to be too pessimistic and doubtful).

But, in case it’s not clear: Thank you! And cheers to whatever adventure you end up on next.

2 Likes

So sad to see my favorite genius going away from Meteor. Hope it’s not related with MDG’s new business projects. Good luck to you and huge thanks for all your huge & amazing contributions.

Most of which were built and maintained by Arunoda and his team in fact :wink:

1 Like

True story:

1. MDG builds Meteor.

2. Arunoda embraces Meteor and builds “Comet Engine” (a Meteor hosting solution) (before MDG’s Galaxy) (unknown results).

3. MDG builds Galaxy (a Meteor hosting solution) (with mixed results).

4. Arunoda stops “Comet engine” work.

5. Arunoda then goes on to build Meteor trend setting solutions: MUP, FlowRouer, MeteorHacks, and Kadira (a Meteor production monitoring solution) (before MDG’s Optics)… (to great fan fair)

6) MDG stops work on Meteor core tech (Blaze, DDP, Livedata, Tracker, etc) and moves almost all their engineers to Apollo (a Facebook’s GraphQL overlay) (with considerable pushback from community). And pushes Meteor devs to embrace Facebook’s Reactjs (with considerable pushback from community). And slowly, pushes any new Meteor core tech work to community (with mixed results).

1. Arunoda builds Reactjs story book (to great fan fair).

2. MDG’s builds Optics (a Facebook’s GraphQL/Apollo overlay production monitoring solution) (with mixed results so far).

3. Arunoda stops Meteor and Kadira (the Meteor production monitoring solution from before) work and moves to the Facebook stack once and for all…

10) MDG wonders what to do next [without Arunoda]…

Disclaimer: This is not meant to predict anything; no gloom and doom here. It was an attempt at satire + irony based on accurate historical chronology. Please don’t take it too seriously. :smile:

15 Likes

on point @aadams mate. On point

Look great for @aadams’s analysis.

This is the most naive post I have seen. MDG investors did not give money because of Arunoda contributing to Meteor. They invested because if the business model provided by MDG. Also MDG is not dependent on Arunoda. Yes he is a good contributor to Meteor but Kadira has a habit of leaving open source packages in a lurch.

I wish Arunoda and Kadira the best in future. Meteor community will also miss there expertise. But I don’t see doom and gloom as aadams is predicting.

3 Likes

Then don’t begin it with “true story” if you mean it as satire.

Geeze.

1 Like

Haha. It is a true story. The use of satire doesn’t preclude the truth.

3 Likes

You and I have a very different interpretation of the word “truth”.

This is not true, for example.

MDG stops Meteor work

Also, you’re a master of leaving out stuff in order to paint something in a way you want it to look like. For instance, your very first two points do this:

1. Arunoda embraces Meteor and builds “Comet Engine” (a Meteor hosting solution) (before MDG’s Galaxy).
  1. MDG builds Galaxy (a Meteor hosting solution) (with mixed results).

I’m not seeing an appraisal for Arunoda’s efforts here. Must’ve been at least “mixed results” as well - otherwise he wouldn’t have abandoned his effort.

Also, you try to make it look like MDG rips off Arunoda’s efforts. And so on and so forth.

This is not satire. This is a hit-job.

At least have the decency of admitting as much. Everything else is disingenuous.

2 Likes

I think that @rhywden is looking at the finger, while overlooking the moon.

@aadams was just doing some satire, to enlighten one of the darkest time for meteor users.

We heavily relied on @arunoda 's work, and now it will be very difficult to overcome his departure.

3 Likes