Code editor of choice?

Atom is my preference, used to use sublime and tested out brackets (a while ago though).

Played around with these two plugins, not sure if I will stick with them though, however worth a look.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried 'em all; Sublime Text 3, Atom, Brackets, WebStormā€¦ (well apart from Light Table, which I hadnā€™t heard of until now!)

• Atom I found too slow to load and I hated the way that the autocomplete package worked, in fairness, probably just because it was different from the way ST3 worked.
  • Brackets was great for static website development, but for anything much more than that I just felt that there was better support elsewhere.
  • WebStorm felt intrusive, as I guess most true IDEs are, but having used a simple text editor for so long, it hindered me more than helped and just got in the way, again, perhaps if I stuck with it and got the hang of it Iā€™d feel differently.

In the end, I always load up Sublime Text 3 over any of the others. Itā€™s fast, configurable, stable and doesnā€™t get in the way. So itā€™s all I need it to be!

2 Likes

If I were to liken Editors and IDEs to cars, Iā€™d say an Editor is like a Formula 1 car, and an IDE is like super car. The first one allows you to go at incredible speeds if you know what youā€™re doing, but you donā€™t get any air conditioning, skid control, and you have to Macgyver the shit out of your seat to make it comfortable and fit for your butt. An IDE gives you a whole bunch of goodies out of the box and comes with a proper user manual, meaning you just get in and drive.

On a more serious note: Webstorm has an ā€œunderstandingā€ of code. The refactoring tools are powerful and thereā€™s a ton of plugins like LESS, including Meteor support as mentioned above. For example: Press CTRL + Click on template name in a html file, and it will take you to the code of the template. Same with helpers. Same with Meteor method calls. Same with CSS / LESS mixins.

If youā€™re new I would highly advise you get started with a powerful IDE like this one. If youā€™re old-school and like your original toolkit, then stick to the tools you know how to use best.

7 Likes

Another vote for Webstorm.

1 Like

Perhaps someone with some decent WebStorm experience should think about making a screencast with some of the ā€œpowerā€ features of the IDE with a heavy slant on using it for Meteor development!?

1 Like

I had no idea so many people use webstorm. I use Vim, Iā€™ve been using it for years. You can add most of the IDE features trough plugins, and it has the awesome text editing features that you canā€™t find anywhere else.

2 Likes

Vim. Linux is my IDE

7 Likes

Sublime Text is the best.

I use Brackets. Great features, especially if you prototype in Photoshop.

1 Like

I use Geany. I havenā€™t really tried anything else. The fact that no one else in this thread has mentioned it makes me think Iā€™m really missing out on something.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used webstorm, Vim, brackets, sublime, and Atom. I spent a lot of time using sublime for meteor, and its nice, but just recently Iā€™ve swapped to Atom as itā€™s matured a lot from when I first tried it. It seems roughly equivalent to sublime. I think the community around Atom is pushing it forward faster than a lot of other editors.

3 Likes

I normally use Sublime Text, however, I have been using Nitrous.io and itā€™s editor seems very similar. I also want to try out Webstorm.

For those of you that use Atom, what additional packages are you installing?

2 Likes

iam using these packages in atom: linter, linter-jshint, linter csslint, atom-beautify, autocomplete-plus, color-picker, atom-color-highlight, meteor-api, meteor-helper

1 Like

I used to use VIM but SublimeText is very good for the job

(Vim with jshint2, nerdTree, ctrlp, etcā€¦)

I used ST3 for a couple years for many different projects and languages (javascript, Python, C++, ā€¦): it was great at the begin but when the number of installed packages grew it became too slow (probably because of some badly coded packageā€¦)

So I eventually switched to Atom a few months ago: Iā€™m liking it but I think itā€™s still too young!
You have to leave with some buggy behaviour and packagesā€¦
Btw, Itā€™s growing fast and packagesā€™quality is growing too: Iā€™ll give it another few months :wink:

1 Like

I try ST3, but canā€™t autocomplete.

Do you mean with the TermJS package & @slavaā€™s meteor support moduleā€¦?
Me neither, couldnā€™t get it working after trying a few things. (mentioned previously)
Gave up after about half hour of messing around.

I am using phpStorm. +1

I recently switched to atom. So far I really like it - particularly the github integrations (for example it can highlight the areas of the current file which have changed since the last commit).