Fibers Public Roadmap and Meteor 3.0

Hello everyone! If you are still not aware, a few days ago, we released our Beta 6!

You can check more about it here.

Your test and feedback is really important. See you soon!

6 Likes

Hi y’all! Just a quick update.

We’ve been working hard to finish some tasks in the past couple of weeks, and soon (between this week and the next one), we’ll release our last Beta!

After that, we’ll start working on the first RC right away.

Right now, I’m working on this PR, which is really important as it’ll update our skeletons to work with Meteor 3.

We also have this one that we want to fix before releasing this Beta. Then we’ll be ready.

That’s it for now, see you soon!

8 Likes

I just organized the content of the discussion and added estimated release dates for the last Beta and first RC versions.

5 Likes

For those deploying to AWS Node machines (EBS) or those using AWS SDK (such as @aws-sdk/client-s3) after 1 of May, Node 14 is no longer supported. Announcing the end of support for Node.js 14.x in the AWS SDK for JavaScript (v3) | AWS Developer Tools Blog

1 Like

I did not find any related announcement about deployment to AWS being affected by the drop of support of Node 14 from AWS SDK for JS V3.

P.S. This just reminded me that I need to move a number of projects from AWS SDK V2 to V3

I get the notification in Meteor 2.x projects where the SDK is installed.

I tried to deploy a Node 14 on a Node 20 machine and it didn’t work. Node 14 cannot be selected any more. If you have a new project it is possible that it cannot be deployed (although the bundle packs its own Node 14). If I remember right, I had problems related to node-gyp. I would assume the Node 14 AMI still exists after 1st of May and new machines can be started in the same autoscaling group.

In the worst case scenario, I believe deployments can be done on custom AMIs.

Node 14 is available until September 30, 2024, according to this page:

We have Meteor (and node 14) running on EB instances that come with Node 18. I don’t think the underlying installed version matters - as Meteor then runs it’s own bundled one.

How are you deploying to production? Did you mean that you are running the meteor tool in production (with the bundled node version)?

We do not run “meteor” nor the “bundled node version” in production. But our custom AMI uses the meteor team’s forked node version. Some folks might be ok with the provided AMI by AWS

We use mup and the EB plugin.

mup will use nvm to install the version of node required by meteor - so the version bundled with the AMI isn’t important.

1 Like

AFAIR the problem with deploying Meteor 2.15 on a Node 20 machine in EBS was related to Python and the compilation of/by pre-gyp/node-gyp which I think is used/necessary by bcrypt.

1 Like

Updates about the first Meteor 3.0 RC Release:

Due to some roadblocks, our ETA for the RC Release has been postponed to 19th April.

These are the tasks for the first RC:

Estimated Release Dates

• Last Meteor 3.0 Beta: March 26, 2024 - meteor update --release 3.0-beta.7
  • First Meteor 3.0 RC: April 19, 2024
  • Meteor 2.16: We plan to start working on a release after the first RC

You can follow the updates on What’s left until an official Meteor 3.0? Discussion, and on the Release 3.0 PR.

8 Likes

It is time for a Weekly update :tada: :comet:

We are proud to say that we have the first Release Candidate for Meteor 3.0 :star_struck::partying_face:
You can check more details about it here.

The priority of the next RC will be to review and fix issues with Cordova’s experience.

Next Releases:

• Meteor 2.16 [PR]
    • We plan to release it by the end of this week.
  • Meteor 3.0 RC (next): May 3, 2024.
    • The plan is to have a new release candidate every 2 weeks.

You can follow the updates on What’s left until an official Meteor 3.0? Discussion, and on the Release 3.0 PR.

4 Likes