Is MDG still using Trello roadmap?

There is very good Trello board with Meteor roadmap (https://trello.com/b/hjBDflxp/meteor-roadmap). Idea is awesome, it allow community to see MDG priorities and roadmap of Meteor development. However it seams that this board is not uptodate and becoming more and more useless.

E.g. there are a few places where @sashko told, that MDG is not going to work on own router, but it’s in the very top of “Future” list. @dgreensp posted recently his research report about webpack, Galaxy is already released etc. But in “Present” list the only feature is Galaxy: managed production-quality “meteor deploy”

So, should we still took to that roadmap time to time, or it’s already deprecated?

1 Like

No new of its deprecation were announced, although the last time it was officialy updated was way back around the 1.0 release. So it is definitely not a dependable source as of right now.

Yes this is correct - we’re working on a way to have a more reliable and frequently updated roadmap through GitHub issues + Waffle.io. Any ideas would be welcome, but the main goal for me would be that we don’t have to update the “roadmap” manually - things should just naturally move through columns if we are working on them.

5 Likes

So it’s old, should be closed and/or removed? I mean now there are still people writing things there. Doesn’t seem to be the right place anymore? Or is that not something you can make a statement on?

I was just remarking on the fact that it isn’t as frequently updated as it could be, and saying that a possible solution is to use some system that is self-updating. On the other hand, a possible solution could also be to have it be someone’s job to keep it up to date. So let’s not get too hasty on closing things quite yet.

Then put a big banner on top that it’s not a correct representation of what MDG is working on at this moment.

edit:
To explain it further: I do understand that you cannot make quick decisions on things. But there is nothing preventing proper communications. Even worse: The current roadmap reflects bad on MDG. It looks nothing gets done (which is clearly not true). It makes the company look bad.

So why would MDG even let this online without being clear about what it actually is: an older version of the roadmap.

“This is an old version of the roadmap. MDG is working on a new roadmap system which updates automatically via Github issues and Waffle. For now use: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/issues

You could perhaps tie in number of commits to that particular fork and display them, to at least have a proxy for activity level.

Right now, I’m using the talk at the Angular conference as a proxy. Considering a slide presented to them showed “MONGO / SQL / REST” at the bottom for available data sources supported. :smile:

It’s still a useful resource for people to vote and discuss those topics at the moment. I don’t think not having that banner for the next week or two while we figure out a new solution will kill anyone.

3 Likes

Mark it as depreciated because that is fair. Now the title is saying: “Meteor Roadmap” which is a lie att this moment because it’s not maintained.

If you are a beginning user and you find this page it gives you a view on Meteor which is not true. It’s ranked quite good in Google so there will be some visitors I guess who end up there.

You don’t have to remove it from the internet, off course not, it’s contains lots of useful pieces. But is should be clear for the reader what he/she is reading.

It won’t bother MDG, it’s abandoned as roadmap already.
It won’t bother the people who are still voting there.

Do I see it that wrong and is there something important which gets hurt by being open about it? Or does it take time to add the message and is that in contradiction with the priorities?

Everything takes time to do well. Especially since we don’t even know if we will keep Trello or not, so putting up a message would give people the wrong idea.

3 Likes

@sashko thanks now I understand better how you see and deal with things.

@sashko Any progress on this?

BTW, if you’ll do with waffle.io, please, use GitHub’s Milestones for this. I’d like to see mile stones and not particular tasks on such board.
Also voting is quite important, it’s at list some way getting information about what community actually wants.

4 Likes

Any updates on this? I guess the “two weeks” are over now? :wink:

3 Likes

same thing over and over again unfortunately, it’s really strange

At least, @sashko liked my post. That’s a good sign, I suppose :smile:

Yes is is indeed funny! :smile: but sad on the other side like more of this kind of topics.

You know, if we added up the person minutes involved in commenting on https://trello.com/c/Gf6YxFp2/42-sql-support and https://trello.com/c/6ugalZMG/54-additional-database-support, I’m pretty sure we’d have enough hours for a full-time dev to work on extra DB support for a year. Damn, I wish we could channel random effort … :cry:

let comment =[quote=“sashko, post:3, topic:12443, full:true”]
Yes this is correct - we’re working on a way to have a more reliable and frequently updated roadmap through GitHub issues + Waffle.io. Any ideas would be welcome, but the main goal for me would be that we don’t have to update the “roadmap” manually - things should just naturally move through columns if we are working on them.
[/quote]
;

comment = comment.replace(‘Waffle.io’, ‘Wekan.io’);

:wink:

That would be cool! I deployed a Wekan instance at https://wekan.io/sign-in if you want to try it. I haven’t promoted it yet, but we already use it for the Wekan Roadmap. We still miss the GitHub integration though, but that would be one of the first plugin to be developed once we have a plugin system (“early 2016”).

1 Like

very nice - can I rely on this instance to stay up, or should I set up my own?

saw your presentation at devshop - big ups :+1: