Kadira: Shutting Down

yeah makes sense, but sucks that Galaxy has no notion of error alerts by email, SMS, slack or any other method. Worth the price of Kadira just for the alerts.

5 Likes

Where did this information come from? Can you go into more details?

This is not information in the formal sense, but an educated guess judging by what’s all been going on with javascript, frameworks, meteor, graphql and apollo in general.

1 Like

@arunoda, Thanks for all the great work. And good fortunes on your future ventures! -Juan

I think Meteor is dying out and nothing to do with evolving of graphql

2 Likes

@arunoda great work and everything you have done, I wish you the best and looking forward to see what you do next.

Pub/sub = queries — yes
Methods = mutations ---- No

Mutations = update/insert calls only. Meteor methods can do any kind of business logic, and therefore not really equivalent.

Also with GraphQL monitoring is going to be even more important due to arbitrary complexity of queries. A single GQL query can return millions of records and hit hundreds of services! You’ll still need to profile them for performance, even more than pub/sub.

yeah we are also migrating away from meteor pub/sub to graphQL. Actually it’s very nice that our React components are all stateless. You can flip the data layer without rewriting your UI!

1 Like

How so? A mutation is a call to the server and whatever is called on the server can do anything, be it update/insert, send emails, call external api’s, heck, even reboot the server!

And that’s why MDG developed Optics, a somewhat counterpart of Kadira which is to graphql what Kadira was to pub/sub/methods.

Thanks @arunoda. Thanks for all your support.

GraphQL is a data api, and a mutation is a way to specify modifications to that data. I suppose technically you can write anything in the GQL server method which handles that endpoint, its like a stored procedure in a database. But that’s neither the spirit nor the purpose of the mutation.

This thread is getting off topic - please open new threads for specific discussions. Thanks Arunoda for all of the great tools! Some good ideas in this thread about future directions for the Kadira tool, we’re investigating different options and will provide an update soon.

2 Likes