Kadira: Shutting Down

Guys,

Here’s the news you guys wanted to know.
It’s not a secret, we are moving out from Meteor.
Here’s the full story: https://voice.kadira.io/kadira-shutting-down-7d35994db85d#.sypiismx7

And you’ll be able to use Kadira APM as long as you want.

17 Likes

Thanks for offering a self-hosted Kadira solution, that’s really awesome of you guys. We all appreciate the work you’ve done for the framework and its community.

7 Likes

Thank you for your announcement, @arunoda. Kadira was a great project, and I wish you the best of luck in your future projects. Nice of you to provide the Docker image, too.

I think that I speak in the name of many on this forum when I suggest, if possible, to please lock this thread. Soon enough, as seen in the past, it will attract a legion of trolls and prophets of doom. I suppose the aforementioned blog post already provides the best medium for comments on the merits of / alternatives to Kadira.

Happy New Year!

4 Likes

Cool to hear about the self-hosted version, thanks! Did not see this mentioned in the article, is it going to be community maintained or will you keep a hold on PRs yourself? Would love to contribute a bit to the UI side of it.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear that. We are launching our first major Meteor app this January, which would have been using Kadira’s paid service. It’s been a great tool in development. It’s incredibly decent of @arunoda to provide a self-hosted solution. Best of luck in your next venture.

2 Likes

We are running Kadira APM as is for another two months. That means you could use our hosted version of Kadira until the 28th of February 2017.

After that, you’ll be able to run Kadira yourself. We’ll provide an easy Docker-based deployment solution and a pretty simple cloud deployment solution. You will also be able to export your existing data on kadira.io and use it inside the self-hosted version

It’s really refreshing to see you making this as easy as possible for us, as compared to many other startups and even bigger companies, like Google, who often just shut their projects down with little notice and don’t give you a clear path to go forward. You not only did provide us with a clear timeline, you are also providing us with a way to get out of this situation relatively unharmed by releasing the self-hosted solution.

I just want to say, probably on behalf of many other Kadira users, that we really, really appretiate the way this is handled and I wish you all the best in all your future projects, Kadira team!

16 Likes

Sad to see you officially go :frowning:

On the upside, also glad to see all your hard work on Next.js now too.

6 Likes

Haven’t used Meteor in a very long time, but I’m sad to see Kadira shut down.

I’m really excited to see your next work. Any comments @arunoda on what you’re working on next?

Thanks Arunoda. You made a difference.

3 Likes

Long live Kadira. You guys did so much for the Meteor community over the past few years.

Very classy to make a clear transition plan for existing users: going above and beyond as usual.

Best of luck in your next adventures!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for everything you and your team have been giving to the Meteor community. It’s awesome that you will provide Kadira as a self-hosted solution, thanks again for this generosity.

1 Like

I should add, for what it’s worth, we will be using Kadira for the initial launch, until Kadira goes dark. This is exactly the time you want this most!

1 Like

Great attitude, man!

1 Like

Thanks for all your great contributions, this will be a big loss. I think MDG should pick up Kadira and provide it as a free hosted service, there is too much value in it and no real equivalent.

5 Likes

^ This.

Kind of a shame to see that no enterprising engineer has offered to step in basically ‘buy’ Kadira as a service.

I guess the real issue at hand is that the startups that used Meteor and would have been paying healthy sums for a service like Kadira, instead had enough investment $$ and enough FTE’s (that’s full-time engineers) to just completely build their own stacks and not continue using Meteor as it was for their companies.

Glad to see there are still people out there pushing it forward with stuff like redis-oplog.

Here’s to 2017 and hoping that MDG doesn’t lose focus on the magic that Meteor provides :slight_smile:

And to Arunoda - enough with the doom and gloom man! You built an incredible reputation for yourself and to this day I’m surprised that nobody managed to seduce you with a proper US Visa and a $250,000+ USD salary leading the engineering team at a startup. I can only imagine you have higher aspirations and for that, I salute you :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think Kadira is an amazing product but they got pricing and market all wrong and that’s why it failed.

First, market. Meteor is used for tons of MVPs and smaller startups. This market is huge, it’s the cornerstone of Meteor’s success. Meteor Tools proves you can make a business out of that. But looking at pricing, Kadira focussed specifically on growth companies. There are not that many Meteor startups in that stage, so your market is really tiny.

Second, freemium startups have about 2-3% conversion, if you execute them well. This makes it extremely hard to be profitable. You get this immense overhead of non-paying users. Especially for something like Kadira which tracks events and results in huge amounts of data from free users. Not a very good decision.

Last, the plans were all wrong and obviously didn’t fit the market. Start at 19/month and you’ll be surprised what would have happened!

I think a pricing model like Meteor Tools is interesting for a lot of devs - instead of offering freemium.
I’d happily pay 100USD for a self-hosted docker Kadira solution, and pay again for future updates. And then when my company gets more serious, I’d probably go for a hosted managed version starting at 19-29/month and up.

So overall, really a shame to give up so early and easily!

1 Like

Even if they got rid of freemium and charged $5 a month for the basic tier. If you can get 1,600 developers who each have three apps they need accounts for, that’s almost 25k a month in revenue. MDG should think about offering it as a value-add service to a galaxy subscription… especially now they have 80% of the source code they’d need. It’d make galaxy that much more appealing than going the MUP route.

why not try and sell it? MDG didn’t want to buy it?

2 Likes

I totally agree Max. If MDG had bought this and incorporated it into Galaxy then it would overnight turn Galaxy into an incredible product. Not saying Galaxy isn’t already great but adding detailed performance metrics and server side error tracking would be brilliant. Great to see it’ll be available to run our own though.

Treading carefully around flame-war-inducing arguments, I’d like to point out a possibility that the reason behind MDG not acquiring, nor implementing a competitor to Kadira may simply be the same reason why Kadira is shutting down.

Meteor is evolving to align with the broader javascript vision and tools and converging its “data stack” efforts around graphql. And for graphql specific telemetry - where standard node monitoring cannot provide much value - they have optics.

Kadira was to Meteor what Optics is to Apollo.

And now that Meteor’s subscriptions are evolving into graphql queries and methods evolving into graphql mutations, monitoring pub/sub and methods is becoming irrelevant. Definitely in a year, if not sooner.

Then the rest of application monitoring can already be done - arguably better - with existing node monitoring tools.

That being said, I still see great value in pub/sub and methods for some apps, and for those apps, it is reassuring to know we’ll have some form of Kadira available, and that’s tremendously generous of Arunoda.

9 Likes